II. Unexpected Visit

Chapter Two
Khari

"Where do you want the party? Here or in Jabariland?" Shuri asks me, typing notes for the celebration on a holopad.

"Jabariland," I answer, locking my hands behind my back as she and I walk through the palace. "I think that's the fitting location. We can have the party in the event hall, it's where we have all our celebrations in Jabariland."

"Perfect. We have a venue, we have the decorations decided, now I need to know what kind of cake you want."

"If Alex doesn't get a chocolate cake he won't come."

Shuri knows all too well of Alex's love of chocolate. "I should have everything ready by the time the ceremony is finished. Have you decided how many people are coming?"

"Well I've invited the Jabari army, obviously our family will be there, I've invited John, Sam, Jade, Scott, Hope, Bruce, and Rhodey as well and they've all agreed to come."

Shuri nods, muttering under her breath: "That's gonna be a lot of chairs."

"You'll have to put a pause on the party planning," I hear Everett's voice say from behind me. I turn to find him, T'Challa, and Zy'aire walking speedily towards us, looking on edge about something. Everett explains: "I've just learned that M'Baku isn't the only one retiring. Ross is as well."

I lock eyes with T'Challa, who lets out a deep sigh, rubbing his chin in deep thought. If Ross is retiring, that means that he'll be replaced just like I'm replacing M'Baku...the only question is who is Ross's replacement. Everett has that answer.

"The new Secretary of State is a man named Daniel Fai. He joined the army out of high school and has worked his way up ranks since then. I've met him a couple times, and if it's even possible, he hates the Avengers and the enhanced more than Ross."

Shuri groans. "You said I needed to stop planning, so does this mean..."

Everett nods, letting out an annoyed sigh through his nose. "Yes, he's coming today. He going around and meeting all of the enhanced leaders. He's already met Pepper Potts and Stephen Strange, it was him that alerted him about this. Fai will visit Queen Valkyrie later today. It's supposed to be a surprise visit, but Strange knows that we have to hide Jo before Fai gets here."

"And Livy and Steve," I add on, looking down at my Kimoyo Beads, seeing a notification from Soroya. "They're coming here today, they'll be here any minute. Do we know how far away Fai is?"

Everett shrugs. "Who knows. Call Soroya and Bucky and tell them what's going on, tell them to get here as quickly as possible. Zy, why don't you go to Alex and Jo and tell them what's happening, then bring Jo to your treehouse. When Livy and Steve get here we'll bring them there too, just like when Ross would come for a visit."

"What if Fai gets here before them?" Zy asks, trying to hide his worry.

T'Challa places his hand on his son's shoulder, trying to sound reassuring, but his own worry sneaks into his words as he says: "We'll worry about that if it happens. For now, let's focusing on warning them and getting Jo to safety."

Zy leaves without another word, walking with determined strides towards the exit of the palace. I bring my Kimoyo Beads up and tap on them, not wasting a moment after Soroya picks up to say: