II. Fire

Chapter Two
Sam

Ross's intel says that the kids are in Viborg, Denmark. When I told Jade this she seemed to recognize it, she informed me it's right next to Aalborg, her old home. She was incredibly silent the entire plane ride to Denmark, as was John. He's going through his own problems now, I think he's actually glad that we're being sent across the globe on a mission. I think he wants to get as much distance between Soroya and him as he can.

I wish there was something I could do to ease both of their pain, but I know all I can do is be there for them if they need it. Right now I think they just need to be alone with their thoughts, so I let them.

Once the plane Ross gave us land in Denmark however, both Jade and John become extremely focused, trying to keep their minds occupied. Ross told us that these kids are attacking government buildings using their powers to create and manipulate fire. His intel was correct, because as the three of us get into the city of Viborg, I see smoke climbing towards the sky and filling the streets with ash and smoke. The closer we get to the source of the fire it becomes harder and harder to breathe, but Jade is helping a little. She's creating small explosions in the air to push some of the smoke away, but there's so much of it her efforts are undone almost immediately.

The building on fire that is causing all this smoke is a UN agency, Ross failed to mention that. He made it seem like these kids were just attacking random government buildings like a bunch of rebel teens, but attacking a UN building is pretty serious, I wonder if the other buildings they attacked were from the UN. If so, these kids are trying to send a message.

"I see them!" Jade shouts, pulling my attention away from the burning building and towards three teenagers across the street. I begin running towards them, but Jade holds me back, gesturing to the building. "Make sure everyone has gotten out, I'll get the kids."

I nod to her, watching her run after the kids as they sprint down the street. I look towards John and gesture to his pants pocket. "Call an ambulance, get some medics on sight, I'll make sure everyone gets out." I order, activating my wings and throwing my shield to bust open the double doors of the building.

-

Jade

The kids run into an alleyway next to a vacant building, this alleyway leads to a dead end, which allows me to block them from escaping. When Ross said they were teenagers, I assumed they would be thirteen or fourteen, but they're not. All three look over eighteen. There are two boys and one girl. One boy is of Filipino descent, tall, with long features and his black hair slightly shaved on the sides. The other boy is white, about as tall as the other boy, with a very pointed face and a full head of brown curly hair. The girl is black, very short, probably Soroya's height, a round face, and beautiful black curly hair that flows down past her shoulders.

"Did they send you?" The girl asks, holding her hands out like she's trying to protect the other two.

I keep my hands out and cautiously walk towards them, saying softly: "My name is Jade, I'm here to help you."

"We know who you are. Did the government send you?" The Filipino boy asks. "Because if you're taking us back to the UN, then you're asking for a fight."

"You have caused a lot of damage, you've hurt a lot of people. I'm trying to end a fight, not start one."

"Like he said," the white boy says, his voice showing a hint of a southern American accent. "You're not taking us back there."