IV. The Ceremony

Chapter Four
Khari

Alex is helping me get ready for the ceremony, as is Jo. Instead of wearing my usual armor, I have to wear a ceremonial grass skirt and white paint across my back and chest. Alex is helping me paint my back, while our daughter helping me paint my arms. I remember wearing this exact outfit when M'Baku tried to win the throne away from T'Challa back when I was just a commander. Here I am now about to take M'Baku's place on the throne of Jabariland, it's crazy how fast time flies by.

Everyone else is making their way to Gorilla Peak, where a large cave resides. In this cave is where the ceremonies of our people happen, it's where every Jabari leader has been sworn in since Berko, the first Jabari lord, left Wakanda and brought our people into the mountains. The ceremony isn't much different from the ceremony the Wakandan royalty go through when they are coronated, but even though I know more or less what to expect, I'm still nervous.

Alex can sense it, and once he and Jo finish with my paint, he reaches forward and grips onto my hands, assuring me: "You'll be great. There's no reason to be nervous."

"You think I'll be good at it? Being general is one thing, but lord—"

"Don't even finish that sentence, Baba," Jo says, shaking her head up at me. "You're the greatest man I know. No one is better suited for being lord."

Alex keeps one hand in mine while placing his other around Jo's shoulder, giving me a look of pride. "When you brought me to your weekly meeting with your people when we first met, when you showed how passionate you were about making your country better and more unified, I knew that you were meant for great things. This is your destiny, Khari, this is what you were meant to do."

I can't hug them because of the paint, so instead I say to them: "I love you both very much. I would be half the man I am without the two of you."

"I love you, too, Baba." Jo says with a smile.

"I love you," Alex replies, leaning forward and kissing me gently on the lips. "You ready to get this show going, my lord?"

A playful smile spreads across my mouth. "I want you to call me that more often."

Jo makes a gagging noise. "Can you not talk like that while I'm here? It's gross."

Alex sticks his tongue out at her, to which she does the same. Alex is wearing a black suit and tie while Jo is wearing a cute red dress with gold mountain ranges running down the bottom half. Shuri made it for her, Jo absolutely loves it. She also has a matching headband to push back her bangs, as well as gold arm cuffs. They both look beautiful, and after they have their moment of mocking one another, they both turn to me with smiles, Alex being the one to ask: "Ready?"

I nod. "More than ever."

We had been getting ready in our house, so we have to use our ship to fly to the top of the mountain. In past ceremonies we would climb up the whole mountain, but using a ship is easier and Shuri is worried that the frosting on the cake will melt if this ceremony takes too long. The three of us get onto our ship and fly to the cave where the ceremony is presiding. It's lit up with torches, making it clear to spot amidst all the snow. We land just outside of it, and it appears everyone is here, they were all waiting for me. I see rows and rows of my Jabari soldiers filing up the cave, and as the three of us step off our ship and make our way into the cave, the soldiers hit their spears against the ground, barking and grunting the Jabari war cry. The Jabari soldiers are paving a path towards where M'Baku stands beneath a skylight in the cave. Standing off to the sides of M'Baku are the rest of our family and friends, all wearing formal outfits and most of them close to tears. When we reach M'Baku, Alex and Jo both give me proud smiles before joining the others, leaving me to kneel in front of M'Baku, allowing the ceremony to begin.

M'Baku holds up his hand to silence the soldiers, his booming voice now filling the cave: "Khari Ekene Roberts-Chikere, you have come here today, in front of your fellow Jabari, and the gorilla god Hanuman, to take your place as lord of the Jabari tribe. You have been chosen for this role because of your strength, your heart, and your dedication to not just your people, but to all people. I must ask, does anyone here challenge his claim to the Jabari throne, if so, say so now."

We wait for several seconds to see if anyone will object, but no one does. It puts a smile on my face. M'Baku continues on with the ceremony, turning towards the skylight. "Now I ask the great gorilla god Hanuman, if he objects to this man becoming lord of our tribe. I will place your spear under the light, and if the spear bursts into flames, then Hanuman has agreed."

M'Baku brings out my spear, placing it firmly down in the snow and backs up, getting down onto his knees next to me. We all wait on pins and needles for fire to appear, and just when I think that Hanuman does not think I'm worthy, the light from the skylight grows more intense, making flames appear at the tip of my spear, so bright it looks like one of the torches on the walls. I let out an audible breath of relief, watching M'Baku stand up and pick the spear up, his booming voice filling the cave once again: "Hanuman has agreed, and with the burning of your spear, signifies you shedding your old identity. You will no longer be general, you will no longer be the Young Lion. From this day on, you are lord of the Jabari tribe, the Great Lion."

M'Baku bends down and brings out of the snow a freshly carved wooden lion mask, handing it to me with a proud grin. I place the mask over my face and stand up, grateful that the mask hides the tears silently streaming down my cheeks. I turn around and face my people for the first time as their new lord, not even able to begin comprehending how I feel. This is something I had never even dreamed of having, not just the title as lord, but the support of my people, a unified Wakanda, my friends, and especially my family. I'm happier than I ever thought I could be, and this triumph today is only made great because I have the people I love around me.

The Jabari soldiers continue on their war cry from earlier, with my family cheering behind me. I feel so overwhelmed with happiness and excitement, I can hardly move. Thankfully M'Baku comes to my side and grips onto my hand, bringing it up towards the sky in triumph, shouting to the cave and Hanuman above:

"Long live the Great Lion!"

"Long live the Great Lion!" The entire cave repeats back.