𝟬𝟬𝟭

!!!!

!
!
!
!

"Jouno–kun..." His name slips past your lips like a tiny whisper. He was passing by the coffee shop Teruko—your best friend—and you regularly visit during work.

"Yeah, he is rather handsome."

Your cheeks start to feel hot when she says that because you know that she thinks you're daydreaming about him. Which was half true so you didn't bother correcting her.

"If you like him so much, why don't you talk to him?"

"Are you kidding? Want me to get tortured by him for entertainment?"

Was this the true reason? Of course, not. You were a hunting dog for God's sake and you could say for sure that you're as strong as him.

"What do you mean? You're friends with me, aren't you? I torture more people and way, way worse than him."

"Yes but–" She raised her hand as a sign that she understands and that you should stop speaking.

"No, no. I get it. That–" She pointed her finger at you. "Is your excuse."

"Excuse– for what!"

She put both of her elbows on the table, her fingers intertwined together as a support for her head on them. "For being a coward."

"I am not a coward!"

"That means if he was here right now, you wouldn't freak out."

"Totally." You rose your head high and leaned your back on the seat.

"Good!" Your confidence decreased with those words. It didn't feel like she was agreeing with you but like she was challenging you. But why would she–

"Good morning."

Your eyes slowly moved left, hoping that the voice coming from next to you wasn't whose you thought it was. But my, does fate have it rough for you. It was indeed Jouno—the man you were trying oh so desperately to avoid; creating unreasonable excuses just to get away from him. You once even said that you had to polish your fish's shoes just to get away from him.

"There we go again, why is your heart beating so fast? Are you scared of me or something?" 

You could not only feel but also hear the wind when the doors of the shop opened; thanks to the loud silence you created. Your mouth opened, although it was dry and no words could leave. The hair on your arms rose and your hands were sweating terribly, the last thing you wished for was someone to touch them. So when Jouno reached out to them, you slid your hands off the table onto your lap. 

I want to talk. I want to say so many things so, just what is holding me back?

Your eyes were focused on the table, you dared not look at anything other than the wooden surface of it. Your hands started feeling cold, your whole body did. You had a feeling your stomach was doing acrobatics and that affected your appetite badly.

You needed to hide—Teruko, where is she? You looked at her, her lips were curved in a reassuring smile as her gaze at you was soft. All your nervousness disappeared. Your shoulders relaxed even though you didn't even realize they were stiff. 

"They left, there was an urgent business that needed to get taken care of." 

Oh. Was this a feeling of disappointment? He could have stayed for a little bit. If he did, maybe you would have talked to him. 

"I wasted my chance, didn't I?" 

"I would say that you were pretty brave." She brought her finger to your nose and booped it lightly. "You didn't run away this time." 

You pressed your lips and awkwardly traced your right hand along the fingers of your left. "What should I do, I can't even talk to him let alone try to make him like me back."

"You fight hideous monsters and what gets you nervous is a crush. We can't let that happen!"

She slammed her hands on the table in frustration. You were a strong woman and Teruko does not approve of a single man disarming you. "Try to think of him as a friend, not someone that should like you back."

That is right, I was always worried about him not returning my feelings, I never even tried to befriend Jouno–kun. At this point, I will just push him away.

You sighed which drew Teruko's attention to you. You smiled widely—childishly—your teeth showing.

"If this fails you owe me a favour!"

She furrowed her eyebrows at you. "I, the one who helped you, owes you a favour? Shouldn't it be the other way around?"

"Nope, because if your advice goes the wrong way, you have to take responsibility."

Her gaze lingered on you, you were so confusing. "If I told anyone how you behave around me, they would never believe me."

"That is because I am comfortable with you."

You chuckle almost soundlessly. "Really, thank you Teruko. I do not know what I would do without you, oh my adviser."

And with a wink from you and a warm smile from her, she and you went on with your busy day.