Chapter 12: Music of the Night

Dear Diary,
I cannot understand the obsession
with kissing. After having tried it,
I find it decidedly unpleasant!

Having made a conscious effort to enjoy herself, the evening was turning out much better than she had feared. The musical evening was a pleasant affair with a skilled Italian singer visiting London. During a brief break, while they served refreshments in a nearby receiving room, Angel enjoyed a moment of alone time as the other guests had left the music room.

Being able to sit by herself was pure bliss after spending a good hour in an overcrowded room. The light-green walls gave the room a light feel, and with one wall covered by tall windows facing the garden, it didn't make her skin crawl the way some enclosed spaces did. Especially now, when she was alone rather than stuck in there with everyone else. A pianoforte stood before the window, facing the chairs and small sofas that had been carried into the room for the audience to sit on.

Even Philip had been pleasant that evening, which she considered a small victory and proof that if she was polite and kind to him, he would return the favour. On her insistence, he had gone with the other guests to get some refreshments, and he had promised to bring her back a glass of lemonade. All too soon, everyone started pouring back into the room, signalling that the intermission was coming to an end.

A moment later, Philip returned with her promised lemonade and sat down on her left. James, who had come in with him, sat down on her right. Taking the glass from Philip, she thanked him before taking a sip. She made a face as it wasn't lemonade at all but punch. She never drank alcohol, but her throat was dry, so she continued sipping the drink. Her brother and Philip discussed some matter she had no interest in over her head, so she watched the guests as they filled the room. It was always interesting to observe people. Much more preferable to interacting with them.

Jessica, Nathaniel, and Mrs Grey entered the room. Her friend caught sight of her and gave her a quick wave. Soon, the lights in the back were extinguished to give more effect to the singer who had returned to finish her performance. Angel enjoyed the rest of the show, captivated by the woman's beautiful, rich voice. The punch made her head feel pleasantly tingly. During the show, she felt Philip's hand on her knee in the semi-darkness, and she slowly and discreetly moved it back to his own lap. It was highly improper for him to be touching her, especially in public.

She glanced around to make sure no one had seen the inappropriate display, and her eyes met Nathaniel's. He stood on the side of the room, having given his seat to an older lady. His eyes glimmered darkly in the light from the candles in the front of the room, and her face flushed. Had he seen Philip touching her? Staring straight ahead, refusing to look at Nathaniel, she could still sense his heated gaze on her, and the knowledge that he was looking made her stomach do an awkward somersault.

Once the singer finished her set, everyone left the music room to enjoy some social mingling in the receiving room, where more refreshments were being served. Angel followed James and Philip but hung back when they went to speak to the Italian singer.

Jessica caught sight of her and left her aunt and brother to come over, handing her another glass of punch. "That was an excellent performance, was it not?"

"Yes, I thought it was wonderful." Angel smiled, fanning herself with her carved ivory fan. The room was sweltering from the considerable amount of people squeezed into such a small space. She took another sip of the drink, quite enjoying the buzz it had brought on. "It's the first time I've heard a professional singer."

"Really?" Jessica looked up from digging through her reticule.

"You must remember that I have only been in London on brief visits before. No time for the opera or anything such."