Chapter 33: Neither Birds Nor Bees

Dear Diary,
I have tried to make sense of what James told
me to expect on the wedding night. But I simply
cannot see what birds and bees have to do with it.

It was amazing how quickly wedding guests could disappear after the bride left the scene. Once his aunt spread the word that Angel had retired for the night, everyone dispersed like mice before a cat. Nathaniel had watched in amazement as the guests all took their leave, and within a quarter of an hour, the garden was empty and the house staff could begin tidying up.

Aunt Jane and his sisters had left shortly after, returning to Holcombe Hall with Wortham, where they would spend the week. Something he was profoundly grateful for. But that meant that apart from the servants, he was now alone in the house with his new wife. This was exactly why he now paced the length of the library while looking at the clock now and then, only to find that only a couple of minutes had passed since the last time he checked.

It had been suggested—not particularly subtly—that he give his wife plenty of time to prepare for the wedding night. He'd been waiting to take her into his arms all day, and knowing she was upstairs in his bedroom was nothing short of torture. After the second glass of brandy, he decided he had waited long enough. Considering he'd wanted to ravish her since the morning she found him sleeping in her bed, he rather thought he'd shown considerable restraint so far.

Putting his now empty glass on a table, he left the library to walk upstairs, only to find his butler standing at the foot of the stairs.

"Roberts?" he said, raising his eyebrow at the older man.

He was an elderly gentleman who had worked at Davenhall since Nathaniel was a young boy. Always prim and proper, he was dressed in suitable black garb, looking every inch the strict butler.

"My lord," Roberts said. "Mrs Grey asked me to remind you, should you try to venture upstairs before nine, that your bride ought to be given a proper amount of time to prepare for her first night as your wife."

Nathaniel scowled, annoyed at his aunt's antics and unwilling to wait any longer before kissing his wife. "Who pays your wages, Roberts?"

"You do, my lord."

"Very well then."

The butler nodded and stepped out of the way, allowing Nathaniel to continue towards his bedroom. It was sweet of his aunt to care about Angel enough to want to ensure she had enough time to get ready, but surely his wife had finished whatever preparations a bride did on her wedding night by now.

 It was sweet of his aunt to care about Angel enough to want to ensure she had enough time to get ready, but surely his wife had finished whatever preparations a bride did on her wedding night by now

The bath was exactly what Angel needed to relax. Even with the water having cooled off, she didn't want to get out. She'd taken her time in the tub, washing her hair and rinsing it with fresh water from a bucket, and she supposed she had to get up soon. She would need time to dry her hair in front of the fire and put on the silky pieces of clothing that were supposed to resemble a nightgown and robe. Her eyes widened as the door suddenly opened and her new husband walked into her room.