Chapter 30: Arrival at Holcombe Hall

Dear Diary,
I wish I knew what to expect on
the wedding night. I'm not sure if
I'm more nervous about the wedding
or the night to come.

Angel nervously twirled the ring on her finger as she looked out the window of the carriage nearly two weeks later. A tight knot in her stomach reminded her of the impending wedding. Tomorrow. She could scarcely believe it. In only a day, she would be Nathaniel's wife.

The ceremony would take place at a church in the small village of Bridlewood to which parish Davenhall belonged. Both Nathaniel's estate and that of Wortham's family bordered the village on opposite sides. The decision had been made for most of them to stay at Wortham's the night before the wedding while Mrs Grey had travelled to Davenhall a few days earlier to prepare for the wedding breakfast. It was a kind gesture from Wortham's father, the Duke of Ashbrook, to allow them to stay. And necessary, as James had blankly refused to let her sleep in Nathaniel's house before they were married. Which was unreasonable, but that was James right now. Unreasonable.

They had set off from London the previous morning in two carriages. She with her brother, Jessica, and Wortham while Nathaniel rode with his other two sisters. He would bring them to Davenhall and their aunt before coming to Holcombe Hall for the night, while Jessica had opted to remain by Angel's side for the entire trip.

The Duke of Ashbrook was fond of Nathaniel and had offered his estate for any guests coming from London and needing a place to stay for the night. There shouldn't be too many, as it would be a small wedding. Angel didn't know anyone other than the Howertys, and Nathaniel had only invited his closest friends. If she was honest, she was quite relieved about the smaller size. She didn't think she would have been comfortable with a grand London wedding.

Bridlewood and the two estates surrounding it were two days' ride from London, and they had spent last night at an inn along the way. It hadn't been bad, but she looked forward to sleeping in a proper bed without having to hear people walking through the hallway at all hours of the night. And the following night, she would sleep in a new bed. Her marriage bed. The thought made her shiver. The idea of sharing a bed with Nathaniel was both terrifying and enticing, partly because she didn't know what to expect. But if it was anything like what she had experienced so far, she was rather certain she would enjoy it.

Jessica put down the book she was reading and looked outside. They'd been in the carriage for several hours already, and Angel hoped they would reach the Holcombe estate soon because her bottom was sore from a long time sitting.

"I think we're at the edges of the estate now, aren't we?" Jessica asked.

Wortham, who sat on the opposite seat next to James, leaned forward to have a look. "Yes," he agreed. "We should come up around the lake soon."

"There is a lake?"

"A lovely lake," Jessica said with a smile. "When there's a warm summer, the water is warm enough to swim in."

"It's not a big one," Wortham said before giving Jessica a teasing glance. "That it's placed on the Holcombe estate and not Davenhall stopped none of the Howertys from making use of it."

"The duke said he didn't mind," Jessica defended herself.

"Did he?" Wortham raised a dark eyebrow.

"Well. He never said he did mind."

Angel frowned, confused. "I thought you all knew each other as children? Surely the duke didn't mind his son's friends making use of the lake?"

Wortham chuckled. "I doubt he knew they used it. But I'm certain he wouldn't have minded seeing as they're of noble blood and not miserly children from the village. His words, not mine."