Chapter 32: I Will

Dear Diary,
Have there been any recordings of brides
vomiting in church? I fear I might.

The church in Bridlewood was a quaint structure from the 13th century, with fine detailing from the medieval era seen in the beautifully carved stone knots on the chancel arch. The exterior was made of typical English grey stone, flint, and early brick, with a small octagonal church tower. For some reason, Angel had believed her nerves would settle once she got inside the old building, but they did not. Not even a little.

Standing in front of the priest with Nathaniel on her right side and her brother on her left, she felt as if she might be sick. The priest spoke, but she couldn't focus on his words over the loud pounding of her own heart drumming in her ears. What if I faint? Would they still continue the ceremony if she wasn't able to say 'I will'? Nathaniel looked cool and composed as if the many sets of eyes watching them weren't affecting him at all, while she kept fingering the cufflinks of her brother's tailcoat. Finally, James moved his hand to cover hers and gave it a gentle squeeze.

A warm rush of embarrassment heated her cheeks as she looked up at him, and he gave her a quick, encouraging smile. That calmed her marginally. Which was fortunate, because the priest had just asked the most important question of the day.

"I will." Nathaniel's eyes didn't leave hers when he answered and her throat suddenly felt dry.

The priest turned towards her, and she froze. There was no way she could speak the words necessary. Not with everyone staring at her.

"Wilt thou have this man to thy wedded husband, to live together after God's ordinance in the holy estate of matrimony? Wilt thou obey him, and serve him, love, honour, and keep him in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all other, keep thee only unto him, so long as you both shall live?"

Her throat seized, and she worried she might faint before her mouth finally cooperated. "I will."

The relief of having been able to say the words calmed her some, but she couldn't quite relax knowing that she still had to get through the wedding breakfast. And the wedding night... There was so much yet to come.

"Who giveth this woman to be married to this man?" the priest asked.

James stirred and gave her over to the priest, whose cold, dry hands on hers had an oddly calming effect. The old man motioned for Nathaniel to come a little closer and then made him take her right hand with his own. His strong, warm hand touched hers and when she looked up to meet his dark eyes, she knew everything would be fine. Her nervousness dispersed like the morning mist on the heaths surrounding Hefferton Place. They repeated the vows after the priest and during the entire recitation, Nathaniel held her gaze. It made her forget about everyone else in church, the wedding breakfast, and the night to come. All that existed was her and him, and the crisp voice of the priest reading their vows.

The ring Nathaniel had given her after their engagement ball was brought forward, and he gently put it on the fourth finger of her left hand. Breaking protocol slightly, he then raised her hand to his face and placed a soft kiss on the knuckle just above the ring.

Maybe she would faint after all.

"With this ring I thee wed, with my body I thee worship, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow. In the name of the Father, and the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."

Words that had never meant much to her took on their own special meaning when uttered by Nathaniel. Even when she had made a similar statement a few moments ago, it had not been the same. The priest continued speaking, but she was no longer paying attention. But this time it was because the look in Nathaniel's eyes held her spellbound. Finally, the words she'd been waiting for were heard, 'I pronounce that they be man and wife together...'