Chapter 14: A Kilkenny Party

"I do believe the marquess quite fancies me."

Angel ignored her cousin's chatter as she stared out the carriage window. They were on their way to a weekend party on the estate of Lord and Lady Kilkenny, which was only half a day's journey from London. According to James, the party was a yearly tradition since Lady Kilkenny was desperate to marry her son off.

They had tragically lost their eldest son a few months ago, and their younger son had been called home from the war to take his place as the heir to the Kilkenny title. Lady Kilkenny had always tried hard to marry off her sons, but apparently, she was trying even harder now that she only had one.

The entire Grafton and Grant family were joining for the weekend, but James had elected to ride a horse outside the carriage, leaving Angel inside with her aunt, uncle, and cousin. Joan and Aunt Christine sat opposite her, while Uncle George shared her seat. The man always smelled faintly of sour sweat, so she wasn't sure if she had the better deal or not. Joan, on the other hand, liked to 'accidentally' elbow her, so maybe the slight smell of sweat was better after all.

"Oh, I don't see how any man could not fancy you," Aunt Christine crooned with a proud smile.

Joan threw her mother a pleased smile. "He is so handsome. We look very well together. Do you not think so, Angel?"

She forced a smile. "Very well, indeed."

As Joan continued chatting about Nathaniel and how well-suited they were, Angel stopped listening. Turning her head, she looked out over the landscape passing by outside the carriage. It had been nearly a week since the embarrassing evening when she'd lost her head and asked Nathaniel to kiss her. Every time she remembered, she blushed from the mere memory, and she couldn't believe she'd had the audacity to ask such a thing of someone. Least of all Nathaniel Howerty, the Marquess of Pensington. The most handsome man she knew.

It had been a foolish thing to do. The kiss must not have affected him nearly as much as it had her, because he had avoided her ever since. She worried she might have ruined their friendship by asking for that kiss. He had not shown up when she visited Jessica and had not accompanied his sister to the Grafton house or outings as he had before. The few times they had attended the same events, he had not once approached her to wish her a good evening. He had spent more time talking to Joan than her. She could handle him avoiding her but in favour of Joan? That one hurt.

She threw her cousin a quick glance. Did he fancy Joan? The thought made her feel sick inside. Her cousin had always been popular, and no one could deny that she was a beautiful young woman. It had only been a matter of time before Nathaniel realised it too. But that thought did nothing to improve her mood.

She sighed inwardly. If nothing else, at least the kiss had proved one thing. She was not broken. She could enjoy kisses. It was the ultimate proof that she and Philip were a terrible match and should not get married. Now she only had to work up the courage to tell him so.

The opportunity might come this weekend at the Kilkenny's. She didn't look forward to it since she doubted he would take it well, but she refused to spend her life with someone she had no feelings for. It broke her heart that she would not fulfil her late parents' wish, but she liked to think they wouldn't have wanted her to marry a man she didn't love—didn't even like. They had loved her dearly, and surely they would have wanted her to be happy?

They arrived at the Kilkenny estate a couple of hours later and were greeted by Lady Kilkenny herself. She was a formidable woman of considerable height, with greying blond hair and green eyes. She showed the family to their rooms, all in the same corridor, and explained that she had placed the Howertys on the same floor as she knew the families were close.