Chapter 15: Inside the Maze

Dear Diary,
Men can be so daft.

Angel stared at Nathaniel. How could he possibly be angry with her? He was an impressive sight when in a high temper, with his hair on end from having raked his hand through it one time too many, and his dark eyes glittering.

"Pardon?" She frowned up at him, not sure what this was about. It surprised her she wasn't more worried in the face of his displeasure. She had always tiptoed around Philip, always making sure she didn't anger him, but with Nathaniel, she felt safe. Even as he glared at her.

"What are you doing walking around a hedgerow maze at night without an escort?"

"I wanted a moment alone."

"Well, you managed really well with that," he remarked sarcastically.

Crossing her arms over her chest, she glared back at him. She was getting mightily fed up with people telling her what she could and could not do. "You have no right to be angry with me."

He dragged his hand through his hair even as his eyes didn't leave hers. "I am not angry with you," he drawled, though his tone certainly suggested otherwise. "When I saw Chettisham return without you, I got worried. I thought he'd abandoned you again and that you couldn't find your way out."

"I know exactly where I am." There was no need for him to come to her rescue. Even if it was sort of sweet. He had seen her leave with Philip? It warmed her to think he noticed.

"I didn't know that," he muttered. "But if you know your way out, you should have left the maze the moment he left you alone. It's not safe for a young lady to walk around alone at night."

"There was no danger."

"I beg your pardon? Was there not a man lying on top of you just a moment ago?"

They stared at each other for a moment. The corners of her mouth twitched, and then a giggle burst forth. Nathaniel's anger seemed to vaporise as he reluctantly smiled.

"I'm sorry," she said when she finally sobered up. "I just wasn't ready to rejoin the party, but you're right that I probably shouldn't have been alone out here."

Running a hand through his already mussed-up hair, he shifted from one foot to the other. "I'm sorry for yelling at you. Seeing that man on top of you..."

She smiled wryly. "He was fairly harmless. Just incredibly drunk."

He gave her a dark look. "Even harmless-looking men can cause problems."

"Of course. I didn't mean—"

"What was he doing on top of you, anyway?" he interrupted with a frown. "You seem very calm about it."

"He tripped and fell. Then he didn't want to get up."

"Bastard," Nathaniel muttered, then ushered her towards the exit of the maze.

They walked a few turns, Angel a few steps in front of him, before she blurted out, "I'm not spoken for anymore."

"What do you mean?"

She stopped and turned around to look at him, nearly causing a collision as he was closer than she'd realised.

"You told that man that I'm spoken for." She took a step back and craned her neck so she could meet his eyes. "But I'm not anymore."

A line appeared between his brows. "I don't understand."

"I called everything off with Philip."

There was a moment's silence as he considered her words, and then he quietly asked, "Why?"