Chapter 27: A Good Evening

The ballroom was empty of people except for the small group sitting on some chairs. Without the sizable crowd that had been there until half an hour earlier, the room looked exceptionally large and empty, even with the chairs and tables along the walls. With a smile, Nathaniel crossed the room after having seen the last few guests off and came to a stop before the gathered few.

"It was a good evening," Aunt Jane said before trying to hide a yawn behind her gloved hand.

"You did a wonderful job." Angel smiled.

"We should probably head home." Gowthorpe stood and rolled his shoulders. Once he realised the Grants had gone home without them, he had given up his pursuit of Lady Garland—who had left with Wortham instead—and stayed with his sister.

"You could sleep here tonight if you wish," Nathaniel suggested.

"And allow you the chance to slip into my sister's room?" His friend wrinkled his nose as if smelling something foul. "I think not."

"James!" Angel gasped, her face flushing red.

"I can provide Miss Grafton with a key." Aunt Jane appeared more amused than shocked by Gowthorpe's comment. He probably shouldn't be surprised. She had known his friends for years, and if one got used to the crassness of Wortham, one could handle most indelicate subjects.

"Very well." His friend nodded. "It's late, and I imagine our driver is probably already asleep somewhere. Maybe have a footman tell him so he can find an available bed."

Crossing his arms over his chest, Nathaniel met his friend's eyes. "I do have more honour than seducing your sister when you're both guests under my roof," he muttered.

"I know. My apologies." Gowthorpe sighed. "It's just difficult to digest the idea of my sister with my best friend."

"You mean it's difficult to digest that your lady sweet left with Wortham," Nathaniel said dryly.

"That too."

"Gentlemen," Aunt Jane interrupted. "May I remind you that there are ladies present?"

"Beg your pardon, Aunt."

She looked out over the ballroom and smiled. "It was a lot of work, but it was worth it." Turning her head back towards Nathaniel, she continued, "I will send someone to Davenhall tomorrow to ask them to pack my and the girls' things."

He nodded, having expected this, but the statement made Angel straighten in her chair.

"Why are you packing?" she asked with a small frown puckering her brow.

Aunt Jane smiled at her. "Now that Nathaniel is taking a wife, I know he wishes to spend more time at Davenhall out of the season, so the girls and I will move out."

"Oh." Angel worried her bottom lip with her teeth as she took in the information. "But I don't want to push you out of your own home."

"It's Nathaniel's house, not ours. And it's customary that the siblings move out of the ancestral home when the man takes a wife. But don't worry, we won't be moving far. Nathaniel owns another smaller estate only a day's ride away."

Angel was quiet for a moment before she looked up at him. "Do they really have to move?"

The question surprised him. "I assumed that's what you wanted. It's customary, like Aunt Jane said."

"It's just... I never had a large family," she said, looking between him and Aunt Jane. "I would much rather you stay at Davenhall together with me and Nathaniel."

His aunt smiled and took Angel's hand. "You are too sweet. If that is what you wish, then we will. At least to begin with. After a while, you might grow tired of having us about."