Chapter 35: Nothing

Dear Diary,
What do a few words mean, anyway?
Surely I can live without hearing
my husband say he loves me
.

Nathaniel couldn't quite shake the feeling that something was awfully wrong, but he couldn't figure out why. Angel had been more subdued today and while she was as pleasant as ever, it was as if she held herself back. But why? Everything had been fine when they went to bed last night. He'd asked her, of course. The reply had been the one he feared most. Nothing. Whenever a woman said nothing was wrong, something was definitely wrong. One did not live with an aunt and three sisters without learning that.

With a frown, he watched his wife from across the room. She and Jessica were discussing some books they both read and had an opinion on. He couldn't help but feel a little dismissed since she usually spent her evenings with him. With his family back in the house, he supposed he would have to learn to share her attention.

He absentmindedly scooted over on the sofa to make space for Rain and a kitten she'd found that morning abandoned by its mother. Maybe Angel meant it when she said nothing was wrong. Perhaps she was simply overwhelmed by having the entire Howerty brood around. She was used to a much smaller, much quieter family.

"Ow!" He glared down at the little kitten, which had just dug its tiny claws into his thigh. The little beast stared up at him with enormous green eyes as if he was a giant awakened from its slumber. Then again, to the kitten, he probably did seem enormous.

"I'm sorry!" Rain quickly scooped up the kitten, which took a moment since she had to detach its claws from the fabric of his trousers.

"Don't worry about it. How many more wounded animals have you got hidden throughout the house?"

"They're not hidden." She scoffed. "I've got them all safely set up in the conservatory."

"Naturally," he remarked dryly. "How many?"

She was quiet for a moment, obviously counting her strays and injured animals in her head, before she said, "About a dozen."

"A dozen?" He didn't even have the energy to be angry about his house being invaded by a dozen critters and small beasts. It was something his sister had done since she was old enough to walk. Wherever they were, every stray and wounded animal would find its way into her arms. He sighed. "Just keep them out of my way."

"I will," she promised with a smile. It was an easy promise, considering he was leaving for London the following day. Finally having extracted the kitten from his clothing, Rain took it into her arms and placed a kiss on its furry head. Bringing it with her, she left the room, most likely to return it to its cohorts, all huddled comfortably in his conservatory.

They were all gathered in the upstairs drawing room for the evening. Aunt Jane sat in front of the fireplace, working on a piece of embroidery, while Nick sat by her feet, regaling her with stories of her daily adventures. Nathaniel had brought a book to read but had been too distracted by his wife and had not read more than half a page.

Roberts entered the room, catching his attention, and he gave the butler a questioning look.

"The Earl of Wortham has come to call," Roberts stated simply, but before Nathaniel had the chance to tell him to show their guest in, the butler stepped out of the way as Wortham stalked past him.

"I've not come to call," he said angrily as he sank down on a chair. "I've come to stay the night."

"You know, it's custom to wait for the butler to return and tell you whether you may enter." Nathaniel tried to hold back a smile but wasn't sure he managed. His friend could never spend much time alone with his father before fleeing the scene. It was a miracle he'd lasted a whole day after the Howertys left.