Chapter 16: Not This

Dear Diary,
Sometimes Aunt Christine reminds me of a
dog with a bone. Once she's dug her teeth
into something, she just won't let go!

Angel pressed her fingertips against her temples and massaged gently, hoping to relieve the headache she'd had for the past two days. It didn't help that her aunt was pacing the room, lecturing her on how foolish she was. James had broken the news to the other family members of her decision not to marry Philip once they all returned from the Kilkenny estate, and to say her aunt was not taking it well was quite the understatement. While James had no compunction about calling off the agreement, her aunt acted as if Angel had committed a cardinal sin.

"What would your poor parents say?" she questioned—not for the first time—as she strode from one side of Angel's room to the other. "Disappointment! Disrespect! To go against their wishes when they are not here to tell you otherwise. And you certainly cannot hope to do any better!"

Staring at her reflection in the mirror, Angel rolled her eyes as Agnes finished her hair for the evening's ball. The maid gave her an encouraging smile, which made her feel a little better. Her hair had been pulled back in a topknot with a few loose curls to frame her face, and she wore a creamy white dress with a pink silk ribbon tied at the high waistline. It was a simple getup, but she rather liked it.

"Mr Chettisham is a prime catch. Set to inherit a nice estate from his father. You should count yourself lucky that your parents arranged this for you." Aunt Christine would not stop, and by now Angel doubted she ever would. It had been like this for two days. "It is not as if you could have caught the attention of such a handsome man by yourself."

Why was her family so convinced that she could not find a decent man to marry her? He didn't even have to be handsome, as long as he was a good man. Surely there must be some of those around, and she could not be so distasteful that not a single one would have her. Right? Making a grimace at her reflection, she tried not to let her aunt's words get to her. But they were only a variation of what she had heard her whole life, and they were like tiny barbs pricking her skin repeatedly until she bled.

"I can only hope that Mr Chettisham will take you back once you realise how foolish you are." Aunt Christine finally stopped pacing and talking to catch her breath, allowing Angel to turn around on the low stool to look at her.

"Aunt," she said slowly, done with people telling her how to live her life. "I will not change my mind about this."

The older woman stared at her, obviously not used to being contradicted. "Of course, you will," she blurted out.

"No. My mind is set. I feel no affection for Philip, and I do not believe I ever will. I wish to marry a man who I will at least think somewhat fondly of."

"What would your parents say?" Aunt Christine snapped angrily. "You would break their hearts! They always hoped to join their family with the Chettishams."

Trying not to take the words to heart, Angel stood and squared her shoulders. "I am sure my parents would understand," she said, glad to hear her voice did not waver. "My parents loved me, and I am certain they would not have wanted me to marry a man I do not even like."

Her aunt's face took on a rather nasty shade of purple. "I don't know what's come over you," she spat. "You are so difficult to deal with lately. I hope you remember it's your parents' last wish you are denying."

Turning on her heel, she stormed out of the room, nearly colliding with Joan, who stood outside with her hand outstretched to reach the handle. Joan stared after her mother for a moment and then entered the room, giving Angel a shrewd glance.