→ tall and scary || pt. 1

You and Yachi were good friends. You both had an overactive imagination and were utterly terrified of anything over 6 foot tall. You didn't know how she survived volleyball club, but after awhile of pleading, you joined her to fill in for Kyoko.

She showed you what to do and such, passing out water bottles and damp towels. You saw each and everyone of the players, they all looked pretty big and mighty. But then you saw him.

Asahi Azumane.

His strength was amazing, based on the spikes you had seen. He was super tall and even had a beard! He had long hair too, probably to make rope and tie up his victims.

When he walked over to you to introduce himself, you squeaked and thrusted a waterbottle towards him. He seemed confused, and got the hint that you didn't want to talk, and went back to the court.

You filled in for about two weeks, basically becoming a pro. Kyoko was sick, and Tanaka and Noya made a memorial outside the gym with her picture and candles and flowers. They prayed to it before and after every practice.

"She's not dead, dumbasses." Ukai said, passing the shrine.

Everyday you tried to avoid him. He looked so big and scary! But something else flickered inside of you that wasn't fear. It was something you couldn't quite identify.

Kyoko came back the next day, and you bid the team farewell. You occasionally saw them in the halls and flashed a smile. But you saw Asahi the most, unfortunately.

He always gave you a warm smile. You simply widened your eyes and hid your blushing face into your books.

"Ahhh! I can't fall in love with the enemy!" You scolded yourself. "But he's... so cute~"

TWO WEEKS LATER

You and Asahi still saw each other in the halls briefly, and at lunch, you talked to him.

You usually sat alone with Yachi and talked, eating your bento. But Asahi came over, holding a small tin in his hand. Your heartbeat quickened.

"May I sit here?"

Yachi nodded. She has grown used to him. She though of him as a good friend.

You blushed and looks down at your rice. "Y-yeah."

Asahi noticed this. He put out his hand. "I'm Asahi Azumane. It's very nice to meet you..." he waited for you to reply with your name.

You nodded. "Y/N L/N."

"What a nice name." He smiled, and began to eat his lunch.

Ughhh why does he hafta be so cute!!

It was mostly a silent lunch. You felt bad at Asahi trying to make conversation but your awkwardness shooting it down. You decided to do something about it. At the end of lunch, Asahi looked defeated.

"Hey, Asahi!" You called.

He perked up and looked at you with a blink.

"It was nice to meet you." You said, bowing, and making your way to your next class.

/

At the end of the day, as always, bells rang it's monotone noise and the students were dismissed from their studies. You walked home everyday to your apartment, but instead of trekking home with Yachi, she winked at you and you got her drift.

She walked over to you. "I know you like him, Y/N." She whispered.

You giggled with a whisper. "Don't tell anyone! But... he's so intimidating it sends chills down my frail spine."

Yachi laughed. "Well you're walking home with him."

"No way! He might murder me on the way!!"

"Ask him or I'll tell him you like him." She said with a menacing smile.

"No way no way no way!" You panicked.

"It'll be good for you! You need a boyfriend! They're so kind and gentle and just plain fun. Now c'mon..."

You nodded with clear hesitation. "F-fine."

She bid her farewells and walked to her home. You glared at her and sat on the bench, waiting for the tall male to come out of the building.

After a few tense moments, you saw him walk out of the large doors. His mouth was partially open and his messy bun dropped behind him.

Once he came down the stairs you walked up to him. He noticed you. "Oh, hey, Y/N!"

"H-hi.." you said, blushing intensely.

He smiled at you and you tugged on the end of his jacket to get his attention. He blushed at this, and he looked at you with red dusted cheeks and warm eyes.

"D-do you want to walk home with m-me?"

His smile grew bigger as his blush deepened. "Yeah, sure."

You both walked down the sidewalk in silence. You twirled you H/C hair in your fingertips, and Asahi thought it was cute. "So uh," he said after a moment. "Can I ask you a question?"

'He's probably going to whip out a knife o-or use those big hands of his and strangle me...'  you thought.

You nodded. "Yeah."

He put a hand behind on his neck as he exhaled. "Are you.. afraid of me?"

Your eyes flashed in alarm when he said this. Maybe you had made it too clear that your were afraid of him. "Please be honest." He said, still staring forward.

You glanced up at his face. It looked like faint tears were brimming up on his eyelids.

"A... a little."

He stopped walking and turned to you. "And why is that?" His furious gaze burnt into your face, and you felt the heat rise to your cheeks.

He took a step towards you. He was still just gazing down at you. You meekly took a step back. You could see his tears more visibly now.

"I... I..." you choked. He really looked like he was going to do something to you.

"You're just really big... and-and there were rumors and stuff. To be honest, I just judged you and followed the petty rumors and didn't get to know you. I'm sorry and I.. I.."

Tears were faltering in your own eyes. You must have really hurt his feelings. His intense gaze flickered for a moment and he looked away, blushing. "You don't have anything to be afraid of."

You two began walking again. "I-I know. I just have really bad anxiety sometimes, although it's not really an excuse."

You reached your apartment complex, and you heard him sniffing. You though he had a cold or something, but then realized he was crying. He tried to hide it by looking away and wiping it off his face, but it was no use. He clutched the end of his shirt.

"I'm so sick of this. Of being judged and feared. It's not fair..." he held his head, ashamed to be crying.

"H-hey! Hey, don't cry!" You cupped his cheeks in your hands, wiping away tears with your thumbs. "Don't cry, Asahi."

"Come inside with me, let's get to know each other!"

He nodded and followed you inside.