Driving Lessons 101(Face Reveal!)

Sugar Rush, The Code Room- [1997]

(Turbo)-

While carrying along a feather-weight chest and holding onto the file of King Candy's copied code in between my armpit, I surfed through Sugar Rush's code.

Eventually, I pulled up to a strain of code that read Jumbotron. I double tapped into it. Inside were a series of individual files, each one labeled with a racer's name. Placed at the top of the list was Vanellope Von Schweetz. I scrolled through the files, and the patch notes for King Candy were right; There was no file for King Candy here.

Darn it! If I continue on with my plan without fixing this, the other racers will suspect something is wrong with my character! I need to fix this error, but how?

I looked across the files to see if there wasn't anything I was missing. As I looked, an idea came to mind. I firmly held my finger over the code until an option menu pops up. I looked over to the option Add... and clicked on it.

As I did, an empty folder appeared in the code. It was simply called Folder. I pulled up a keyboard and renamed it King Candy.

Alright. Simply adding an empty folder with King Candy's name isn't going to automatically make the announcer say his name. It's a step closer, but I need to add audio into that file. Hmm...

I wanted to test a theory I had. I explored the announcer's code further, until I found a button that read Sample.
I pressed the button.

"Taffyta Muttonfudge", the sampled voice rang out. I was listening to the announcer's voice carefully. Luckily for me, the voice was loud enough to be clear, but not enough to be heard from outside.

I pressed the button again.

"Jubileena Bing-Bing", the announcer rang again. I listened with full extent to the announcer's tone. I think I've heard enough.

I scrolled away from the Sample button and searched for the King Candy folder I added. I double tapped into it.

I began to clear my throat. In place of the announcer's voice, I was going to record my own. This might seem silly or stupid, but I actually know what I am doing.

Before I got my game unplugged, I actually practiced voice impressions. After the arcade would close, I'd reenact my wins and imitate my crowd's cheering. At first, I did it just for fun, but I eventually took it seriously and gave each person in my "crowd" a voice. It was actually a fun party trick I'd pull at my game's anniversaries. The other arcade residents, especially Fix-It-Felix Jr., thought it was impressive; the Nitro Twins on the other hand would just mock me. "Useless in racing", they'd say! That might be true, but let's see just how "useless" it is in taking a new identity.

When I was done doing some vocal exercises, I believed I was ready. I messed with some buttons to start recording.

"King Candy!", I enthusiastically shouted, trying my best to imitate the announcer's voice. When I finished, I stopped the recording. I played it back to me. "King Candy!", it replays. That sounds about right. I went ahead and placed the recording into King Candy's folder.

Next up, gotta add an image to associate with the character on the board. I reached for the folder of the King's full code from underneath my armpit. I quickly opened it, copied a colored in image of the character's face, and pasted it into the dashboard's folder. I pressed Apply to confirm the changes. Good! Now all of that is out of the way, I can finally move on and merge my code with this king.

I floated myself, close enough to the center of the game's code. I plopped down the folder that had the king's code in it, and opened it up to paste it. I watched as new wires attached itself to this copy-pasted code.