Chapter:1

"Yes, Pops. I am heading out right now. Be there in a couple of hours." I hang up the phone and grab my last suitcase.

I go outside and throw my case into the back seat of my Acura RSX, my barbie car I called it. I see Allison running straight at me. She plows into me, knocking me back against the car. "Allie, watch it! You knocked the wind out of me," I say gasping for breath. Allie starts laughing.

"Yeah, right. I totally believe that" I join in on the laughter because we both knew Allie was too much of a pipsqueak to knock the wind out of anyone.

"I had to come to hug you before you left for good. Oh, Kendra. I am going to miss you. You have been my best friend for the past 4 years. Now we will be miles apart. You must come visit me when you get a chance. Oh by the way, I saw Aiden. He is all bummed out that you are leaving us." She keeps rambling on and on but I don't really hear anything else she says.I start thinking about when I got here. Her excessive talking I had tried to change dorm rooms but didn't have any luck.So I learned how to mentally mute her.But in the past four years we grew close.

"Okay, Allie. I get it. Give me a hug so I can hit the road before Christmas gets here," I say jokingly while grabbing her for a hug. Allie was one of those people that could talk for hours about nothing in particular and never get bored. I really don't feel like having another 20 minute conversation with her about something totally random. She hugs me back and we say goodbye. I shut the car door and walk around to the driver side. I open the door and that's when he grabs me. He puts his hands over my eyes.

"Guess who it is."

"Okay, Aiden. I know it's you. We already said our goodbyes and I need to hit the road if I wanna get home before night fall." I pull his hands off my eyes. I turn around and give him one last kiss on the cheek.

"I love you Kendra. Be safe and take care of yourself." He squeezes me as he lifts me off the ground.

"Love you? You don't know what love is," I chuckle out. 

"Aiden! Aiden!" Samantha yells at him from across the courtyard. He gives me a peck on the cheek and runs off toward Samantha. Aiden was one of those guys that had multiple girlfriends and "fell in love" with everyone he dated. Those were the reasons I dated him because I wasn't ready for anything serious and he was always just so fun and energetic. 

I get in my car, put my sunglasses on, pop in a CD, and crank up my music as I back out of the parking area. I take one quick glance back at the university. I had spent the last four years attending. I feel somewhat nostalgic. I know I have to go home but a part of me wants to stay here and make more memories with everyone. It's only a temporary feeling, though. It's washed away by the thought of my parents and the deep feeling of missing them. I finally hit the road and drive the two hour journey back home.

I could sense our house from a mile away. I'm home. I pull into our driveway get out and stretch my legs before walking in the house. I realize how much I had really missed this place, even though four short years ago, I just wanted as far away from Bridgeport as I could get. I open the screen door and it makes the same creaking noise it had always made.

"V is that you?" Pop yells out from up stairs. The screen door slams shut behind me.

"Yeah, Pops. It's me." I yell back up the stairs. I walk to the back of the house, to my old room and open the door. Nothing in my room has changed. It looks like Pops just shut the door when I left and never touched it again. I throw my bags on the creaky bed and open the windows to let some fresh air in. I plop down on the bed and a cloud of dust rises making me cough. I pull  all  the bedding from the bed to throw them in the washing machine. As I walk through the kitchen I see the dirty pile of dishes in the sink.