Chapter:7

The next morning I wake up and fix breakfast. "Pops, this morning I am gonna go see if  MCCSP is hiring. Hopefully I can get a job with them so I can put my education to use." He agrees with me, finishes his breakfast and heads off to work. I go get ready to go get a job. Dan said I am hired but only part-time to begin with. I am to pick up my uniform tomorrow and start on Friday. I am excited and ready to get started. I stop in town to get Pops another bottle of bourbon. I run into Avery. 

"Hey, Kendra how are you doing?" 

"I am great. I just got a job with the state park." I tell him excited. 

"How about a dinner  celebration on me around six tonight at the Bridgeport Inn?" I laugh. 

"Are you asking me out on a date Avery?" He laughs.

"Is it that obvious? But yes I am Kendra. So is that a yes?" I look up at him and rest my chin in the webspace of my hand, tapping my finger on my cheek like I am in deep thought.

"I would love to see you at six." I gladly accept his dinner date. I head home to get ready. 

When I walk in, Pops says, "We are having a council meeting at eight tonight and you have to go Kendra. Remember the pledge you made."

"Pops I will be there after my date I promise." I pull out the bourbon and fix him a drink.

"A date? Who are you going out with?" Pops seem surprised.

"Ok Pops. Don't seem so amused. It is Avery, the town sheriff." I push his arm over and sit on the arm of the chair. "You okay with getting your own dinner tonight Pops?" I ask patting him on the shoulder. He nods his head yes. I get up and get ready for my date. I put on my prettiest burnt orange sun dress and some short black boots. I take one last look in the mirror. I look great in this color. I set out to meet Avery. I show up a few minutes late. He already has a table for us. We eat and have conversation. He tells me all about growing up in Carson city and how his dad was a sheriff. He really doesn't say much about his mom so I don't pressure him. After dessert, I notice the time and excuse my self. I hurry and head to the lodge.

When I walk in, everyone turns to look at me. I sit down to listen. They are all upset. Rane stands up. "I think a certain someone is slipping stuff into the ladies' drinks around here. Someone none of you would expect. I actually saw him the other night put something in someone's drink so I intervened  and stopped that person from drinking it. The person is the sheriff so I think we need to get him out of office." I listened as everyone agrees with him.

"I think you all are wrong. He is a very nice and caring guy. I think there is another reason. Has the water been checked in this area?" I intervene. 

Pops stands up, "No we haven't, but only the wolf population is having this problem. Someone is trying to wipe us off the map and we need to get to the bottom of it. Whatever it is." They all agree.

 I speak again. "Let me test the water before you go accusing someone that is innocent." They all agree with me and approve my recommendation. "I should know the results in a week or so."

The meeting adjourns and I walk outside to wait for Pops. Of course Rane walks up with his snide remarks. "The water? Really miss goody two shoes?" I start walking away but he grabs my arm. "You should of only been listening and not interjecting your ideas. You just got here. That was your first meeting."

That voice is back. "He is so dreamy. I am in love." I start laughing. Rane just stares at me."

Mr.Howell take your hand off me. I can speak my opinion anytime I damn well please." I hear that male voice and mine having a conversation. 

The male voice says, "No don't leave! I want to hold you in my arms until the sun comes up."

The female answers back, "I wanna feel your arms around me."

Another voice intervenes, "Stop it you two. Hailey is our mate. Not you. You never will be. She is perfect for us." I shake my head.

"You know what Rane. I hope you and Hailey will be happy because I have no interest in you at all.He laughs and says "Oh you don't do you?"

No I sure don't, Oh, by the way. Tell your wolf to screw off and to not talk to mine. She is senile." I jerk my arm away from him and stomp away. I mumble, "I hate you. You are so rude." 

"I heard that "He yells and laughed boisterously.

I go off to find Pops. He stands there in total and utter shock. When I come back out he is gone. On the way home I start thinking of Rane's words. He is always cruel to me and I have never  once done anything to him. I start crying. Why do I let him get to me.

I get home and call Allie. "Hey Allie, if I send you a water sample, can you have your dad test it please? I will owe you one."

"I am sure it won't be a problem. Anything else you want to tell me Kendra?"

"No, I am pretty sure that was it."

"You and Rane didn't have a disagreement again?"

"Okay, yes we did, but how do you know that?"

"Don't worry about that. You know what they call that don't you Kendra?

"And what is that Allie?"

"Foreplay," she giggles.

"Allison Jane Hayworth I have never."

"Chill someone told me that, but yeah. Send the sample over. Bye, V." She hangs up abruptly. I head to bed excited. I go get my uniform tomorrow. I can't wait to see how it looks on me. The next morning I decide to do something different. I take off jogging down the road. It felt good to run until I feel shooting excruciating pain in my side. I fall down and double over in pain on the sidewalk, barely able to catch my breathe. I am too far away from the house for Pops to hear me. I look around. No cars in the driveways. I realize everyone is gone to work already and mumble a few choice words under my breath as I try to pull my self back home. I pass out. The pain is too much to bare. I felt arms wrapping around me, picking me up. Am I dreaming?I come to and it is Rane carrying me "It hurts Rane so bad make it stop please make it stop ."I scream out in pain passing out again.