Chapter:2

I run in and grab a bottle of bourbon for Pops, trying to hurry.

"Oh you mean miss goody two shoes knows what a drink is?" the voice behind me comments.

"Do you always have to be a dick, Rane Howell? Don't you have any manners." I scold him while  paying for Pop's whiskey.

"I let you in front of me. That's about as close to manners as I come when it comes to you, V." He laughs boisterously. I elbow him in the gut.

"Oh, sorry! Where are my manners? Oh, they went out the window with that comment." I start giggling. Dane starts cackling as well so Rane smacks him upside the head.

"She told you, Rane," Dane tells his brother still snickering.

"Shut the hell up Dane and take your ass to the truck now," he orders him pointing at the door. Jeez, he is so mean and bullies Dane. He needs to take some of his testosterone and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. I head back home and put the groceries away. After everything is away, I put my sheets and blankets back on my bed then head back in to the kitchen to start supper.

"What's for dinner, V? I am starving and wore out," Pop says coughing.

"Your favorite, T-bone and taters and a salad," I tell him throwing the empty grocery bags away.

"I will have some of the first two, but you can eat that salad on your own."

"I know Pops." I show him the single salad mix I had gotten. "You know Pops, that's not good for your ticker, all that red meat and no fruits and veggies."

"V, my ticker is as strong as it has ever been." He beats on his chest.

I joke back, "Yeah, sure you caveman." We both laugh.

"Go watch TV.  I will yell for you when supper is done." I pull out the aluminum foil and wrap two taters and stick them in the oven. I also grab a skillet from the bottom drawer of the stove.

"Pops why is the stove not working?"I ask, kicking it.

"I will get Rane over here to fix it. Let me call him." Pops picks up his phone. "He will be here any moment, V" Pops tells me.

"Oh, great. The asshole is on his way," I mumble under my breath.

"You say something V?" Pops yells from his worn out chair.

"Oh nothing, Pops. Just talking to myself."

"You know V, it is okay to talk to yourself but if you start answering yourself, we have problems." He laughs while pouring himself a shot of bourbon. 

"Ha ha Pops. You are full of jokes today." I giggle then say, "Not," under my breath. A few minutes later, I hear a knock at the door. "Come in!" I yell out already knowing who it was.I walk into the living room. "The stove, you know the kind you cook on, it is not heating up," I say snidely while pointing to it.

"I know smart ass. Your pops told me." He pushes past me. "Are you sure you even know how to cook or are you gonna burn your dinner?" he says amusing himself.

"Screw you smart ass! My mom taught me how to burn shit," I remark, sticking my tongue out at him.

"Bitch," he mumbles under his breath. I go to my bedroom and slam the door. He is such an ass and it irrates me. At times I think he does it out of pure meaness. He doesn't know how to be pleasant. It is not in his nature. When I hear him leave, I go in the kitchen to  start cooking. Pops and me sit at the table and eat together, something we hadn't done since she passed away. I clean up after dinner and go shower to get ready to go to Judy's to meet Avery.