22

I watch as the smiley boy talks to the customer in front of me from behind the counter, his white shirt and black apron making him look really handsome. There was a glint in his eyes- if he didn't like his job, he sure was faking it really really well.

Eventually, the man in front of me leaves with his order and I make a step forward, greeting politely. The boy's eyes widen and a bright smile spreads on his face. How can he be so pure?

"Hey!" Dino greets excitedly and I chuckle. "How are you?"

"I'm alright," I say. "What about you?"

"I'm great," he speaks. "Oh..."

He clears his throat and brushes off the nonexistent dust from his apron, standing straight.

"What would you like to order, miss?" He asks before leaning in closer and winking cockily. "It's on me."

I laugh and tell him what I wanted to buy. I could feel Dino's charisma from the first moment I saw him. Something about his bright smile and the glitter in his eyes made him look like a shining star, one that you couldn't ignore, not even if you wanted to. He was sweet, somehow, confident but not annoying and he gave me a good impression ever since the first time we met. So I couldn't mind that fate made us meet today.

"Hey, have you eaten?" He asks while styling the whipping cream and I shake my head, watching him in wonder.

"No, but I'm heading home, so-"

"Let's go grab something to eat, then," he says, smiling. "My shift is over anyway."

"It's fine though, you don't need to-"

"Let me take you out," he says, placing my order on the counter and giving me one of the most charming smiles I have ever seen in my life. "Pretty please?"

How am I supposed to decline that?

That's how half an hour later, I find myself walking by Dino's side on a small street full of bistros and cafés. He said he knew a place where they served really good food and we agreed on going there.

"So... a barista, huh?" I speak, making him turn his head towards me with a small smile on his lips.

"Pays the bills," he shrugs. "Moreover, it's kind of fun if you get the hang of it."

I nod my head, remembering how much he seemed to enjoy doing his job. He wasn't faking it.

"I would like to get a job by the end of college, too," I sigh.

"...but?" The boy asks me expectantly.

"I can't seem to find anything that works for me," I speak.

"It's not supposed to work for you," Dino shrugs again. "It's supposed to give you money... and experience."

I nod, thinking about his words. He was right after all. Maybe I was too picky and maybe the actual reason why I couldn't get a job was because I was scared of going out of my way.

"You look smart, though," he says with a smile. "Anything can work for you."

I chuckle bitterly, muttering an "if only", but the boy wasn't paying attention to me anymore.

"It's here!" He says, pointing towards a bistro a few feet away from us.

It didn't look too fancy, which made me feel relieved, since I didn't want to feel uncomfortable. The warm lights could be seen through the windows, as well as the smiley people sitting at the tables inside.

We sit somewhere by the window and look through the menu. There were numerous dishes, making it difficult for me to choose. The chatter wasn't as loud as I'd expected and the place didn't smell heavily like food. It was a nice and cozy bistro that I already liked, surprisingly.