26

I knew I should have asked Joshua about that pill. Now I had to bear the consequences of me being so absent-minded.

It was almost five in the morning and it was still dark outside. My sister was sleeping peacefully on the bed close to the windows, while I was wide awake because of the terrible headache that had hit me suddenly in the middle of the night. I tried multiple times to fall asleep again, but it was pointless. I even tried walking around the room, drinking a glass of water and looking out the window, hoping it would cease my headache for at least enough long for me to fall asleep again.

It was all in vain.

Eventually, I choose to prepare myself for a new day that was already promising to be long and tiring. Exactly what I needed, I sigh to myself.

And so, as I brush my teeth, I remember there is something I can do: go and watch the dawn race.

Maybe some fresh air would help, I tell myself. It had to help. Or at least I had to hope it would.

With this thought in mind, I get dressed and leave the room as noiselessly as possible.

*

The cold spring air was making my head hurt even more but I could still hope it would get better in time. However, there was one thing I didn't think of before leaving my hotel room: there was no way I could get to Lime Rock Park by foot, at least not in less than twelve hours and completely alive.

That's why, with my last spark of hope, I head towards the hotel's parking lot, wishing that by any chance, there were still some 24/7 taxis as I saw the night before. After wondering around for a few minutes, I realize that my luck simply sucked and there was no way I could get there now. THE 8 has probably already left since racers have to be there earlier anyway, so I had to give up on my little plan.

"Good morning!"

I flinch and turn around, only to find two sweet and sparkly eyes looking at me from under the lamp post. The white light was shining on the girl beautifully, making her look like and angel sent from Heaven to help me. Maybe that was exactly what she was.

"Are you going to the dawn race?" Vivi asks after I nod my head, still slightly startled by her sudden appearance.

"Yes... Or at least that was my plan," I say, hesitantly.

She approaches me, her wavy hair being ruffled by the wind.

"What do you mean?" she asks, the smile still present on her lips.

"Well... I don't exactly have a ride-"

"Ah, but that's not a problem," she beams. "You can come with me if you want to."

I look at her surprised and it takes me a few moments to process her words. This cute little thing has a driver license?

"You... drive?" I ask hesitantly and she laughs, picking something out from the pocket of her bag.

Car keys.

"Sure I do," she smiles. "Don't worry, I'm not reckless, safety before anything."

She brushes past me gently and I turn around, watching as she unlocks a pretty white car a few feet away from me. So she is not kidding?

"Are you coming?" She asks, opening the porch on the driver's side.

What could go wrong after all?

Well, everything, she is a stranger. I only know her name. And the fact that she is pretty. But nothing else.

Just risk it this once.