Chapter 7 The Usual Suspects

A SWAT team approaches a motel room from the outside. The SWAT team breaks open a 2nd-floor door with a battering ram. Inside the room Sam stops holding his hands up. A female officer walks over towards Sam her gun forward.

'Going somewhere, Sam?' She asks.

The policewoman who arrested Sam walks into the interrogation room, where Sam is pacing by the window. She places a coffee cup on the table.

'Thought you might be thirsty,' She tells him.

'Okay, so you're the good cop. Where's the bad cop?' Sam asks.

'Oh, he's with your brother,' she tells him. Sam knew Dean was here but he wasn't sure if they had also arrested Hermione.

'Okay. And you're holding us why?'

'Well, he's being held on suspicion of murder. And you, we'll see,' Sam leans forward in an complete shock.

'Murder?!'

'You sound genuinely surprised. Or are you that good of an actor?'

'Who was he supposed to have murdered?!'

'We'll get around to that,'

'Well, you can't just hold us here without formal charges!'

'Well actually, we can, for forty eight hours, but you being a pre-law student, would know that. I know all about you, Sam,' The officer grabs a file and starts to read. 'You're twenty three years old, no job, no home address. Your mother died when you were a baby, your father's whereabouts are unknown. And then there's the case of your brother Dean. Whose demise was, well, just a little bit exaggerated. Feel free to jump in whenever you like,' Sam doesn't he instead leans against the wall, folding his arms. 'Shy? No problem. I'll keep going. Your family moved around a lot when you were a kid. Despite that, you were a straight A student. Got into Stanford with a full ride,' She closes the file. 'Then about a year ago there was a fire in your and your friends apartment. No fatality. But you fell off the grid. Left behind everything,'

'I needed some time off. To deal. So I'm taking a road trip with my brother and my friend,'

'How's that going for you?'

'Great. I mean...we saw the second largest ball of twine in the continental US. Awesome,' Sam pulls a chair up to the table and straddles it.

'We ran Dean's fingerprints through AFIS,'

'Okay,'

'Got over a dozen possible hits,'

'Possible hints. Which makes them worthless,'

'But it makes you wonder. What are we gonna find when we run your prints?'

'Yeah, well,' He pounds his fist on the table sarcastically. 'You be sure to let me know, all right,' He points towards the cup. 'May I?'

'Please,'

'Great,' He sniffs the cup and sips it as she leans over him.

'Sam, you seem like a good kid. It's not your fault Dean is your brother. We can't pick our family. Right now detectives in St. Louis are exhuming a corpse. They're trying to figure out how your brother faked his own death. After torturing all those young women. Even torturing your friend. Dean is a bad guy. His life is over. Yours doesn't have to be,' Sam looks at her.

'You want me to turn against my own brother?'

'No. We already caught him cold. Red-handed at the Karen Giles murder scene. We just need you to fill in some missing pieces,'