Chapter 11 Playthings

Blues music plays on the radio in the motel room. The walls are covered in maps, hand-written notes, and a missing poster showing Ava's face. Hermione looks up at the wall it kinda reminded her of John's wall when they were hunting the demon. In her hands was the engagement ring of Ava she was hoping she could track her with it.

'Yeah. Okay, Thanks, Ellen,' Sam speaks over the phone.

Dean enters the room. 'What did she have to say?' He asks.

'Oh, she's got nothing. Me, I've been checking every database I can think of— federal, state, and local. No one's heard anything about Ava, she just...into thin air, you know?'

'Huh,' Dean hands over one of the three cups of coffee he's carrying to Sam.

'What about you?' Sam asks.

'No, same as before. Sorry, man,' Dean answers as he hands the last cup to Hermione.

'Ellen did have one thing,' Sam points out.

'Hmm?'

'A hotel in Cornwall, Connecticut. Two freak accidents in the past three weeks,'

'Yeah? What does that have to do with Ava?'

'It's a job. I mean, a lady drowned in the bathtub; then a few days ago a guy falls down the stairs, head turns a complete one-eighty. Which isn't exactly normal, you know? Look, I don't know, Dean, it might be nothing, but I told Ellen we'd think about checking it out,'

'You did?'

'Yeah. You seem surprised,'

'Well yeah, it's just, you know, not the, uh, patented Sam Winchester way, is it?'

'What way is that?' Sam asks mildly challenging.

'I just figured after Ava there'd be, uh, you know, more angst and droopy music and staring out the rainy windows, and—' Sam gives him a look. 'Yeah, I'll shut up now,'

'Look. I'm the one who told her to go back home. Now her fiancé is dead and some demon has taken her off to God knows where. You know? But we've been looking for a month now, and we've got nothing. So I'm not giving up on her, but I'm not going to let other people die either. We've got to save as many people as we can,'

'Wow. That attitude is just way too healthy for me, and I'm officially uncomfortable now. Thank you,' Dean responds. Sam ducks his head and laughs. 'All right, call Ellen. Tell her we'll take it,'

It's not raining, but the roads are wet and the air is misty as Sam, Dean and Hermione park the Impala in front of the inn. Dean gets out of the driver's side.

'Man, this is sweet. I never get to work jobs like this,' Dean tells Sam and Hermione.

'Like what?' Sam asks.

'Old school haunted houses, you know? Fog, and secret passageways...sissy British accents,' Dean points subtle towards Hermione. 'Might even run into Fred and Daphne while we're inside,' Dean closes his eyes briefly. 'Mmm, Daphne. Love her,' Hermione gives a worried look towards Sam. Sam shrugs and they follow Dean up to the steps. Sam notices an urn on the side of the porch. He inspects it more closely.

'I'm not so sure haunted is the problem,' He points out.

'What do you mean?' Dean asks.

'You see this pattern here?' He taps at a five-point symbol engraved in the urn. 'That's a quincunx, that's a five-spot,'

'Five-spot,' Dean repeats.

'Yeah,'

'That's used for hoodoo spellwork, isn't it?'