Chapter 8 Crossroad Blues

Sam, Dean and Hermione are sitting at a table in a diner. Sam is on his laptop on there is a mugshot of Dean from the St. Louis Police Department.

'So much for our low profile. You've got a warrant in St. Louis, and now you're officially in the Fed's database,' Sam tells Dean.

Dean grins. 'Dude, I'm like Dillinger or something,'

'Dean, it's not funny. Makes the job harder, we've got to be more careful now,'

'Well, what do they got on you or Hermione?'

'I'm sure they just haven't posted it yet,' Sam mutters.

'Trust me I'm not in the Fed's database,' Hermione tells the boys as she takes a sip of her drink.

'No accessory? Nothing?' Dean asks.

'Shut up,' Sam shots at him.

Dean starts to laugh. 'You're jealous,'

'No, I'm not!'

'Uh-huh. All right. What do you got on the case there, you innocent, harmless young man, you?' Sam shuts his computer, annoyed, and pulls out several pages of research. Hermione slaps Dean on his arm for teasing Sam.

'Architect Sean Boyden plummeted to his death from the roof of his home, a condominium he designed,'

'Hmm. Build a high-rise and jumps off the top of it. That's classy. When did he call animal control?'

'Two days earlier,'

'Did he actually say Black Dog?'

'Yeah. A vicious, wild, black dog. The authorities couldn't find it, no one else saw it, in fact, the authorities are a little confused as to how a wild dog could get past the doorman, take the elevator up and start roaming the halls of the cushiest joint in town. After that, no more calls, he doesn't show up for work, two days later he takes a swan dive,'

'Do you think we're dealing with an actual Black Dog?' Dean asks.

'Well, maybe,'

'Could be a grim,' Hermione suggest.

'A what?' Dean asks.

'A grim. Some believe it's a death omen. Takes form of a black dog,'

'I mean it could be,' Sam hands Dean the pages of research. 'The lore is pretty vague. I mean, there are spectral black dogs all over the world, but...some say they're animal spirits, others say death omens. But anyways, whatever they are, they're big, nasty,'

'Yeah, I bet they could hump the crap out of your leg, look at that one, huh?' Dean holds up a picture and smirks. Sam glares but a smirk slips unlike Hermione who gives him an unamused look. 'What? They could,'

Sam, Dean and Hermione are sitting in an apartment room wearing suits as they interview a man.

'So, you and Sean Boyden were business partners for almost ten years, right?' Sam asks.

'That's right. Now one more time, this is for...?'

'A tribute to Mr. Boyden. Architectural Digest,' Dean answers. The man laughs. 'This funny to you?'

'No, it...it's just, a tribute. Yeah. See, Sean always got the tributes. He kills himself, leaves me and his family behind...well, he gets another tribute,'

'Right. Any idea why he'd do such a thing?' Hermione asks, holding up her notepad.

'I, I have no clue, I mean he lived a charmed life,'