2. Sticky Note

Chapter Two

  "Long day at work?"

  I blew out a breath and tossed my keys onto the counter. "You know I can't talk about it."

  She giggled from the living room and followed me into the kitchen. "Because you're such a scary government man with a talent for making toys."

  I gave my sister a look. "Really?"

  Jaz gave me a goofy grin, blinking innocently. "You don't make toys?"

  "I make brain puzzles. Logic puzzles. They're supposed to make you think strategically. I'd like to see you figure out the latest ones I've made."

  "You made them. I'm sure I could figure them out."

  I grabbed a mug from one of the cupboards. "That was so mean," I chuckled.

  "Grab me one, too."

  I grabbed her Disney mug with all the princesses on it. She didn't say anything more, so neither did I. I made us hot chocolate and topped it with one marshmallow each.

  Jaz greedily grabbed her mug from my hands. "When are we going to see mom?"

  I shrugged, walking out of the apartment kitchen and into the living room. After a moment, I hear her pad her way after me. She sits down on the couch and I sit beside her. "Wanna watch anything?"

  She takes a slow, loud sip of her hot chocolate. "Anything you want."

  I ruffle her blonde hair. "How about Ponyo?"

  Her face lit up. "Yes! Oh, please!"

  I grabbed the remote and stood to put the movie into the DVD player. Jaz waited impatiently, sipping her drink. I closed the curtains as I was up and walked back to the couch.

  "And don't talk through this one, okay?" I told my little sister.

  She frowned. "I only spoke during the last one because I didn't understand how the things were happening."

  I nodded. "Okay. Just keep it to yourself until the end this time."

  "No promises." She shrugged and curled up against my side.

  I sighed and pressed play on the remote.

:::

  Jaz fell asleep halfway through the movie. It was late and she did have school tomorrow. I was glad her body knew when she should rest. Even if she tried her hardest to stay awake.

  I picked up the thirteen-year-old girl and placed her in her bed. She mumbled incoherently and curled up instantly. I tossed her comforter over her body and closed her bedroom door behind me.

  This was the worst time to be awake. When Jazzy went to bed and I was left alone with my thoughts.

  This time used to be my favorite. When I didn't have to take care of my younger sister because our mother would rather do other things to occupy her time. But now it was just a nuisance. Now it was a time to think about groceries and how I was going to take her to school the next morning.

  I walked into my bedroom and closed the door. Falling onto my bed, I fished my phone out of my pocket and dialed my mother's number. She let it ring all the way through. I called again.

  "Hello?"

  "Did I wake you up?"

  "No."

  I nodded in understanding, knowing she can't see me. "So, you're drunk?"

  "Don't judge me, baby. I had a rough day."

  "It's ten-thirty. You couldn't have just gone to bed?"

  "You know," she paused to cough. She was probably also smoking. She was going to die. "If you want to harp at somebody, call your father." She yelled the last three words and hung up on me.

  I dialed her again. "You have to get your life together, mom," I said when she answered.

  "For what?"

  "Your daughter."

  "Jazabelle loves living with you," she slurred.

  I clenched my fist. "No. She loves having someone pay attention to her needs."

  "Stop. Don't make me feel this way."

  "I'm not making you feel anything. That is your own guilt."

  "Leave me alone." The line went dead once again.

  Sighing, I set my phone on my nightstand. I didn't believe she would change. She has never wanted to. Our father would be upset to see her this way.

  Now, I had work to do. I had to think of an even more complicated puzzle. One that 12z couldn't figure out. But what could that be?

  She had liked the secret compartment. Maybe I can try something new with another one of those. I had been certain she wouldn't have found it out so quickly.

  I had been wrong.

  This time it couldn't be so obvious. I hadn't thought it was obvious before. Wouldn't she be looking for another one, though?

  It was all so complicated. She was such a bright human. I don't think anyone could come up with a better puzzle but herself.

  Right. Herself. I said I would find a flaw she had in figuring things out. I just had to watch it more closely. Maybe watch the videos of her past achievements. Study them. See where she had faltered, even if it was slight.

  I wrote a quick note on a sticky note and stuck it next to my phone. I had to remember to ask for those files. Otherwise, Opus was going to have me fired.

  I couldn't let him win. I couldn't let him be with 12z without supervision. Without my supervision. Anyone else would look over his cold-hearted terms with ease. Without so much as a second thought.

  She was human. If we treat her like an animal, she will come to think of herself as an animal.

  The doctor's way of dealing with the peculiar people in our rooms was wrong. I hoped every other doctor in that hallway he worked with understood that as well as I do.