27. Jazabelle's Love

Chapter Twenty-Seven

  Once again I arrived at work with the employees bustling about like mad. After having to deal with Uriah yesterday, I felt like I was prepared to deal with anything they threw at me today. However, I still didn't expect all these people to be here this early in the morning. Were the missing patients really that big of a deal still?

  Had they gotten 7b to say anything? I'm sure the freaky woman could shed some light on where the others were headed. It would probably take a lot of convincing to make her talk, anyhow. With any way they could possibly imagine, they would make her talk. Any way possible that didn't ever include me.

  I was never stepping foot near that woman ever again. I would never allow it.

  Dr. Opus caught my eye. He was leaning against the wall connecting to Hallway A. He was staring at me firmly –staring was probably the wrong word. His face looked a little grey and I took the liberty to blame it on sleep deprivation and him having not shaved in a while. A small beard had started to grow and I'm not sure he enjoyed it, but he couldn't care enough to deal with it with as much time as he's spent at work lately. He motioned at me to come closer as I stopped walking and stared back at him –again, staring may have been the wrong word choice.

  I stood firmly in my spot. Did I really want to go over to this vile man? No. Nuh-uh. But was I going to for the sake of keeping him from shouting at me over the hubbub of fellow employees? There was still a high possibility that I would not. However, for the sake of everyone else bustling about, I made my way towards the doctor.

  "Do you have to walk so painfully slow? I feel as if you only pleasure me with your sloth walk," he grumbled when I reached him.

  I clicked my tongue. "Don't misunderstand, Opus. I wouldn't please you with anything." Giving him an innocent smile, I motioned for him to speak.

  He frowned deeply, creating a crease between his brows, before telling me why he needed me out of every other person walking about. "The supervisor asked me to bring you to his office. Apparently, you did some unusual things while everybody else was suffering in the meeting room."

  I rolled my eyes. Unusual things? What could be considered unusual after everything that has happened recently? A bunch of almost-incapable aliens escaped a monitored government building. That was about as unusual as unusual could go for me.

  The supervisor stood as we entered his office. "Good morning."

  I nodded once and returned the pleasantry. Opus stood in the doorway like a bodyguard. Like an eavesdropper.

  Supervisor A cleared his throat and looked pointedly at the doctor. Opus looked at him expectantly. "This matter doesn't concern you, Dr. Opus. If you could please leave my office. Shut the door behind you."

  I smothered a smirk that wanted to grace my features. Sometimes it was nice to see him put in his place. He acted so entitled and simply like a spoiled brat. It was refreshing to see him look flustered.

  Once the door had firmly clicked shut, Supervisor A began to speak. "You had quite an adventure yesterday, didn't you? Getting dragged around by something our cameras couldn't detect and then being tossed inside one of our rooms to be graced by a missing patient. One of yours, no less."