22. Poking the Patient

Chapter Twenty-Two

  What did it feel like to know your body was turning blue? How did she feel to know that she made a bargain with an unknown creature when she was little that was leading her down a dangerous path? Was she relieved that no matter what happened she was going to leave Earth?

  I was sitting across from 12z as she fiddled with the grooved puzzle. Blue was creeping up her neck now. When would it end? What had to be done for the Ozzoma to appear and take her to its planet? She glanced at me as I scribbled meaningless thoughts down for later.

  "I can sense your unease," she deadpanned.

  That was another thing. As the blue began to crawl its way all over her body, her speech began to improve accordingly. She spoke almost perfect now, with the blue creeping up from underneath her shirt.

  I wasn't sure I could keep up with her.

  "I assume you know why."

  She shrugged her thin shoulders. She looked unkempt. I hoped they were providing her with enough daily care. One of my patients had died before because a doctor had been careless. A doctor, careless with one of their own patients! I had been deeply irritated with the man and was a part of him being fired. Not my best memories, but it had to be done. I couldn't imagine Opus being such a man.

  "I know you're questioning everything I told you. I know you want to know more. Silly people think they can get answers simply by asking. Some things require force, you know."

  Sighing, I set down my pen. "I have many questions. However, I can be very patient if it is needed. There will be no force coming from me, 12z."

  Her cerulean eyes swept over me. "I think you don't know what you're capable of, Mr. Mestiere. Especially if you pushed things just a tad bit."

  I frowned. "I'm not a pushy person," I stated.

  She waved her hand, dismissing me. "Hardly anybody ever admits they are," she whispered.

  She liked to toy with me. Give me a little room to poke around for answers and then shut the door in my face. Give me an inch; take it away soon after, giving herself double. I think she was searching for answers of her own.

  Why would she need answers if she could speak to the creature? That question alone had me guessing she couldn't converse with the Ozzoma. Maybe it spoke another language, maybe she just wasn't listening hard enough. I wouldn't know, but I was set on her not being able to talk to it.

  12z also liked to make me think she was going to start talking about herself. Talk about the offer, how she met the Ozzoma, anything at all. Only, once I replied, the attention would be turned onto me and no more would be said about herself.

  I was tired of this game of cat and mouse. I was ready to know what she was hiding. It was my turn to play the cat.

  Even if it means I have to go against what I have just told her. I never lie, but I can bend the rules a little if need be. Rarely would I ever do this.

  "Tell me, 12z, do you remember the name your parents gave you?"

  Her entire frame froze. She liked to believe just because she has been here for a great portion of her life that we have forgotten she had once not been a part of our system. "My parents?"