16. Stupid Men

Chapter Sixteen

  I had a last-minute call to seeing 12z before I left work. It wasn't the worst thing to be called back for, but I wasn't wishing for it to happen.

  I had been talking to the other doctors in Hallway A that were on their way home as well. Almost to the exit when my phone started to ring. If only I had been quicker to leave. But maybe 12z really needed me?

  What for? I have no idea. If she needed anybody it would have been her doctor. The awful man who was put in charge of her. Not some puzzle crafter.

  First, I looked inside the observation room for Dr. Opus. Thankfully, he was inside. I was hoping he could answer my question about my being here.

  "Ah, toymaker, you've arrived," he hissed. Oh, how I loathe this man. "It's unfortunate you had to be called back for such a measly thing."

  "What's going on, Opus?" I snapped.

  The doctor cleared his throat, gesturing to the window. I looked inside to find 12z on her plain cot. Nothing looked out of order. If anything, the only things out of place were the multiple puzzles on the table. She must be busy doing them the right way this time.

  "What are you pointing at?" I asked.

  The man before me grumbled as if it were obvious and brightened the lights inside her room. "Look at that skin tone, Mr. Mestiere," his finger smashed against the glass, "Last I heard, humans don't turn blue for no reason!"

  I squinted, as if that would zoom in, and saw that 12z had –in fact– turned blue. Her hands were a crisp cerulean–very much like her gorgeous eyes. Her arms were still her dark skin tone as well as her face. However, her lips were tinted a little blue.

  "Is she cold?"

  Dr. Opus looked at me as if I were the stupidest man alive. "Do you think I would be here if it was a little cold? No. It's perfectly healthy. 12z's vitals are all up to par and the temperature is normal."

  "Then why is she blue?" I raised my voice. I realized that this might show I have some sort of affection toward the girl inside that room but it didn't matter. She was turning blue for unholy's sake! Without a cause according to the oh-so-smart doctor.

  "Oh."

  We both turned in the direction of the window. 12z was now creeping toward the window slowly, speaking softly. "Oh," she repeated.