3. Small Talk

Chapter Three

I woke up to a loud ringing. Before I grabbed the obnoxious noise, I looked at the alarm clock. The green numbers beamed in my face, telling me it was seven in the morning. Deeming it was a decent time to be answering the phone, I picked it up and slid the green button.

"Hello?"

I straightened immediately in my groggy state. "Hello?"

"Marco?"

"Yeah. I thought you got banned from phone time?"

"They can't actually do that," he paused, "I don't think."

"I'm sure they can do anything they threaten to do."

My father made a funny noise on the other end. "They can sue me. I heard I'm getting out of here in a month or so. Are y'all ready to have me back?"

I smiled a little bit. "Of course, dad. I always miss you. I'm sure Jaz does as well."

"Don't lie to me, son. I left when Jaz was five to get help. There is a good chance she doesn't remember what I look like."

I sighed. "Just finish your time there. We'll be here for you when it's over."

Dad breathed a heavy breath right in the receiving end. "I appreciate it, Marco."

Before I could reply, a knock sounded at my door. The handle turned slowly and Jaz walked in. "Are you up?" she whispered.

"Yeah, Jazzy. Come here."

She was all ready for school. She even had her backpack on her shoulders. I felt envious that she was already ready for the day and I was still in yesterday's clothes.

"Are you on the phone? I'm sorry for interrupting."

I pulled her beside me. "No, it's alright. It's just dad. You want to say hi?"

Jaz stood up from the bed. She shook her head. "I don't... I can't."

"Jaz is with you?" Dad asked.

I nodded, then realized how stupid that was. Jaz smirked at me. "Yeah. But she's timid."

"I know what timid means, jerk face."

I laughed. "Timid and smart-mouthed," I added.

Dad groaned. "I miss her little face. And now she's all grown up. Does she look like your mother?"

I grabbed Jaz's wrist before she could leave. "She has a good mix of both of you."

"Why is she with you? Where is your mother? You still live on your own?"

I sighed. "Yeah, I still live on my own. She's here with me at my apartment."

"Your mother?"

"No."

Jaz grabbed my hand and squeezed. She knew how much I hated talking about it. She hated it just as much as I did. Jazzy was a smart girl. I'm glad she is my little sister.