29. Tails

Chapter Twenty-Nine

  I found Uriah sitting in a pillow fort in the corner of his bedroom. The cat was lounging beside it. It was apparently waiting for him to show his face. The glare the cat was giving the standing pillows was scary. I wonder why this cat hated him so much. The cat at my place was friendly.

  "Marco?" His voice was muffled and he sounded desperate. I covered my mouth to refrain from laughing.

  "What the heck are you doing?"

  The top pillow began to move. The second it did, the cat jumped up and started to growl. Uriah instantly let go of the pillow and it fell back down the short amount it had come up.

  "Hiding! Get that animal out of my room!"

  I looked back at the gaping hole in the corner of his bedroom door. Shutting it out wasn't an option. "It chewed through your door. I can't shut it out."

  I imagine Uriah crossing his arms and pouting at my response. "Then get it out of my home."

  Sighing, I bent over to pick the animal up. Its hair started to raise when I reached for it. Once it looked into my eyes, the orange eyes shut halfway and it started to purr in my arms.

  The pillows exploded. "Is that heathen showing affection?" Uriah exclaimed. I'm almost surprised he could hear the small vibrations from inside his pillow fort.

  I turned my back to him and pet the cat, ignoring the onslaught of pillows that landed around us. "Don't call it a heathen. Look, he's so sweet." It continued to purr in my arms.

  Uriah sneered at the beautiful animal. "Why does it hate me so much?"

  I shrugged. "Let's just get going. I don't feel like staying here and nursing your new cat."

  Uriah continued to sneer. "Its name shall be Heathen," he said darkly.

  "You can't call a cat Heathen. He's not your even your cat."

  Something moved behind Uriah. I waited to see if it was another cat. Two cats could be better than one. Maybe teach this one some good manners. However, it would be more likely that the bad one would teach the good one to do wrong.

  "Apparently, it is my cat. If it somehow appeared here."

  "Don't call him Heathen." I was still waiting for that 'something' to move behind him again.

  "Then how about Evil? Or Demon? How do you know it is a 'he' anyway?"

  I lifted the cat and turned him around. "Wanna check for yourself?" The cat started to growl as his back was turned toward Uriah.

  "Turn him back around!" he exclaimed, raising his arms to protect his head.

  Finally, I saw the culprit of the movement from minutes before. It was a tail. A tail connected to Uriah. I couldn't tell what kind of tail. It didn't look like skin, so it wasn't just a human extension.

  I pet the cat, opening my mouth to tell Uriah of this weird phenomenon. He spoke before I could.

  "You have a freaking tail!" His eyes were wide, staring behind me. "And it looks like a lion tail."