18. Sundaes

Chapter Eighteen

  It was ten on Wednesday night. 12z had me sitting in her room for an hour, not speaking. She ignored all of my advances. All the while staring at the wall that her doctor was standing behind.

  It was way past my time to go home. This is now second shift and I was not happy about it. I'm sure my attitude was coming of off me in waves.

  She didn't want the doctor to be present. I understood that. I felt the same way any time I had to be anywhere that he could be. I would hate to even run into him being in the bathroom the same time I was. However, there was nothing I could do about him. If he wanted to be present, he was going to be.

  This was his hallway, his patient. I couldn't do or say anything to change that.

  "Why isn't it talking?"

  Refraining from rolling my eyes, I looked at the very same wall 12z was. "She doesn't want you to be in there, obviously."

  "I'm not going anywhere," the grump snapped.

  I dragged my hand down my face, throwing my other arm out in his direction. I couldn't make him leave, but I sure could try. "I am here over hours. If she doesn't speak in another ten minutes simply because you are still in that stupid room, I am leaving and we will never know what she has to say."

  It was silent for a moment. 12z's eyes moved from the location of the microphone to the door, then back to the microphone. "Fine." Her eyes followed an invisible figure back to the door and all the way to the door that leads inside her room. When she made sure the figure wouldn't return to the observation room, her cerulean gaze returned to me.

  "Ozzoma," she whispered.

  I leaned forward instinctively. "Pardon?" Was that some sort of food?

  "The Ozzoma will leave soon," she said more urgently.

  I was surprised she was speaking so well. When had this happened? Doctor Opus said nothing about her speech being improved. And by so much, no less.

  "Not much time. Ozzoma go back. Look." She shoved her uniform white tank top up to reveal her stomach. Blue was creeping up her torso. If I stared at it, it almost looked as if it was still moving upward.

  That was not normal.

  "What is Ozzoma?" I asked.

  "Are," she hissed.

  Well, pardon me. "What are they, then?"

  She slapped her wrists. "Cerulean creature inside me. Leave soon. Back to planet." She was becoming more insistent. I don't know if it was because I was tired or this was ruining sundae night, but I couldn't quite grasp what she was trying to push onto me.

  "The creature inside you will leave? How?"

  12z smacked her hands onto my shoulders. "I will turn all this color. Once I do, we leave." Her cerulean eyes shone with an urgent light. Flecks of green seemed to be making their way away from her pupil. It was as if her eyes were rejecting the green and trying to push them away.