13. Marco Has Friends

Chapter Thirteen

  I had the day off. Jazzy was spending time at her friend's house. Before she left, she told me to get a life while she was gone.

  What does that mean? I have a life. I have friends. Okay, maybe just two. But that didn't mean they were any less important.

  To prove to Jazabelle that I did –in fact– have a life, I invited my friends to spend the day with me. Thankfully, they had nothing to do as well. I would have had to go out if they were busy. And I hated doing that.

  By the time they arrived, the apartment was clean and I had finally chosen something casual to wear. A simple hoodie and jeans. Yes, I haven't done social events for so long. I was actually getting anxiety as the time went on. But once they walked through my door, it vanished.

  These were my friends. Not strangers I had to impress. If they didn't want to be here, they wouldn't be.

  Lauren smiled at me. "Long time no see, Murk."

  "Don't call me that. I saw you at work days ago," I replied.

  She rolled her eyes. "So?"

  "Pay attention to me, too," a quieter voice mumbled.

  Lauren looked at Uriah. "Don't be like that." She pet his head. "He called you as well as me."

  Uriah frowned, swiping away her hand. "I'm not a child."

  "Says the youngest in our group. What are the plans, Marco Solo?" Lauren threw her handbag on the counter and crossed her arms.

  She was just full of horrible nicknames today. This is what I get for not hanging out with her for so long. I just hoped they would get better as she continued.

  Uriah looked at me with fear. "We aren't going to another theme park, right? I don't know if I can ever show my face in one of them again."

  I laughed. "No, Uriah. I didn't really have any plans set in stone. I just wanted to prove to Jaz that I don't mope around at home every day."

  "But you do, Murky."

  My hand raised to my chest. "Ouch, Lauren. I don't see you partying every weekend." I didn't even want to acknowledge that awful nickname.

  "How would you know? You stay inside every weekend."

  Uriah shuffled his feet. "Can't we just go see a movie or something? There are a lot of new–"

  "That's so average and boring," Lauren scoffed, interrupting the redhead. "Let's go party."

  "And that's not average?" Uriah snarled.

  "Oh, it's average," I added.

  Our best friend frowned. She rummaged through her bag and sat down. She pulled out a metal puzzle and started to fiddle with it. "Fine. You guys are boring."

  "We're not boring; you're just too extra."

  "Dang, Uriah." I slapped his back and he frowned. "We should hang out more often."