17. No Biting, Only Fighting

Chapter Seventeen

  Nothing happened at work today. Granted, I was only there until noon. I couldn't tell if I was disappointed or relieved. Relieved nothing bad happened; disappointed nothing interesting had happened. Apparently, I was both relieved and disappointed.

  I went back to the apartment to pick up dad, and then I went to Jazzy's school to pick her up. The boy from before, Solomon, was standing beside her outside the principal's office. Was he in trouble? Caught in the hallways without a pass?

  Jaz stood when she saw me walk in. She waved to the hazel-eyed boy and blocked me from walking any farther. "Let's go."

  "I have to talk to the principal," I stated. I attempted to walk around her.

  She stopped me. "No, you don't. You can just sign this and we can go." She grabbed a slip from her pocket. She was being pushy.

  "What's going on?"

  She rolled her eyes and grabbed my arm, trying to drag me away. "Nothing," she replied.

  "Then I'll meet you in the car," I said, shrugging her off my arm. I waved to Solomon who gave me a weird look. Before I could knock on the door, it swung open and a woman walked out.

  Her eyes widened as she saw the three of us and her cheeks flushed. "Hello," she stammered.

  "Is Principal Genri in her office?"

  The woman blushed. "Yes. She's taking her lunch break. Can I help you?"

  Disregarding her obvious behavior, I told her everything I had to say and left, waving at Solomon as I did. Jaz had become beyond impatient and seemed even more furious when I made a point to say goodbye to the boy.

  There had to be something going on. She wasn't one to be this weird over a boy. I would have to ask later.

  The entire ride to our mother's house was filled with random radio stations. Dad couldn't keep his finger off of the button, scrolling for music he was in the mood for. Nobody talked, 'cept the one time Jaz told him to "cut that out" so she could listen to a station that played music she knew well.

  I was eternally grateful when I pulled up in the driveway. I turned the vehicle off and took my keys faster than I ever have before. Never had I ever been so annoyed during a drive. Taking a long drive is something I enjoy. That was not the case today.

  The front door slammed open and some stranger walked out. He was wearing boots and a uniform that had one heck of a logo on it. The name plastered on his breast pocket was Cher. I don't know who Cher was, but I assumed she wanted her tightfitting uniform back.