What we gain

5 Weeks later

(Adira's P.O.V.)
The moon has awoken with the sleep of the sun. The light has been broken, the spells have begun. Dreams form in many sleeping heads in Birmingham. Yet here I am, the one who lies awake blaming insomnia. My troubled thoughts keep me restless. I often wonder if I will ever find peace at night. These nightmares wrap their evil hands around my soul almost every night. They try to pull me deep into a world that's only ruled by fright. I'm scared of everything in that world. I'm scared of what happened to me. I'm scared of the person who took advantaged of me so many years ago. His hands holding me down but also exploring my shaking body. I'm scared of walking out this room and see his face again. Trembling and shaking I try to wake up put the nightmare will consume me untill that certain event. If I am lucky I will escape the horror with the help of dawn's first lights. But dawn likes to take her time.

This particular night was like most others. Trying to wake up. My screams fill my ears and I feel sweat running down my face yet I can't manage to snap myself out my state. In my nightmare I see the face of the man.

A man that I had to call husband due to an arranged marriage. I squirmed underneath him but he just slapped me. I couldn't feel the hit but I remember the pain as clear as day. As I try to get out his grip I spot a gun. I punch up and he falls of off me. I throw myself at the gun and point it to him and pull the trigger.

My body shoots up and I frantically look around for my ex-husband. Short and heavy breaths leave my lips. I realise that I am awake and take a deep breath to calm down. I swing my legs out of bed and walk to my bathroom. Still panting a little I turn on the tap from the sink, before bowing down and splashing some water in my face. I also make a bowl out of my hands and drink some water. I look into the mirror and my eyes travel down to some of the scars from the abusive relationship. I trace my hands over one just underneath my collarbone and flinch. It was the memory again. I sigh and look back into the mirror. "A gun this time" I whisper to myself. In the many nightmares were I ended up winning. The weapons were all different. From knives, to guns and even my hands. "Should've fucking killed him instead of running away" I sighed to myself as I walked back to my bed, "maybe then I would not have these nightmare". I sit down and rub my temple. I look over at the window and see no light from the morning. I groan as I lay down, knowing I probably won't fall asleep. I don't pray, I hope for the morning to come quickly.

Finally the sun peeked through the curtains and I got up from my bed. I had to go to the docks where the boats and trucks leave for transportation. There was a truck that had some goods that where going to head towards Europe. Tommy asked if it had space left because he may have some goods that needed to go to Europe. I had told him to meet me there so I can check the cargo. I arrived at the docks and walked through the gates. Trucks and boats where loaded by workers, male and female. The workers all awknowledge me with a nod or a greeting as I strode to the office. I spotted the Shelby family car and a truck with a couple of Peaky Blinder members. I walked in and saw Tommy patiently waiting on one of the chairs. "Good mornin' Mr Shelby" I greeted him while I signed some papers, "mornin' Adira. Nice business you got going on 'ere" He replied with the same tone that I had. "Thank you. Please follow me" I said motioning him to follow. We walked outside towards the truck that was going to Europe. Some workers were already loading the goods from the other client. "I know that we agreed that I won't ask what goods you'll be transporting in my trucks" I said and Tommy nodded in confirmation "but as you can see. These goods are edible. Meaning I can't have any goods in the same truck that can possibly harm them. Which can infect or possibly kill a person" I explained to him as we watched the workers work. "So either you tell me what goods you want to be transported. And I'll see if they can go on board. Or you need to wait a week. Because I'm not willing to loose this client". "Ya don't have other trucks?" Tommy asked, "No. Unless you want your goods to be shipped to Ireland". "Mrs Shaw?" I heard someone call out. I turned and nodded at them, telling them I'm coming. "You have 10 minutes to think about my offer" I told Tommy before walking away from him to deal with something else. When I returned I asked him if he thought about it. "I will tell you what the goods are but you need to come with me for something". "That something is?" I asked curiosity clear in my voice. "You know horses. I want to hear your opinion on a horse I am willing to trade" he explained, "it all depends what you want him for, Tommy. But sure I'll tag along" I said he nodded agreeing with my statement. "You have the paperwork from your shipment?" I asked. He pulled his coat back and retrieved the paper from his inside pocket and handed it to me. I read through it and confirmed the type of goods. Just some whiskey. He could've said it from the bloody start instead of making me read through the shipping document. "Your goods will not harm the other goods so you can tell your boys to unload and hand them over" I said to him. He nodded and waved his truck over. I let the head loading worker sign the paperwork that he got the goods without any broken bottles. Then mine and Tommy's signature came on it aswell. This isn't always necessary. We walked back to the family car while talking. Tommy explained to me that the current owners of the horse is the Lee family. I knew about this family, but never met with them. Just like the Peaky Blinders, the Leviathans are not enemies but also not allies. "I'll pick ya up here, alrigh'" he informed me. I nodded "will your brothers be joining us?" I asked him. He confirmed by nodding his head. I stayed in front of him as he got in the car. An awkward silence filled the air around us. "Well. Uh see ya then" I said and waved before walking away. I heard Thomas softly chuckle before he turned the car on and driving off.