Darby Sabini

(Adira's P.O.V.)
I walked out my house and towards the stables. I walk over the pebble road that goes from my house all the way towards the stables. It has a large field on both sides of the road. The little stones make sound underneath my shoes. I arrive at the stable and walked staright towards Blue Moon's stable. The old retired mare wanted to be ridden so to kill to birds in one go. I will ride her towards the docks to get some papers from my office there. Everyone else likes to drive their cars, if they even have one, but I much rather ride a horse. "Good morning, Ms Shaw" a stable hand greeted me as he walked past me with one of the youngsters. I nodded in greeting back to him as I took Blue Moon out the stall. I started to groom her. "You're going to ride her?" Someone else asked. I didn't turn around and just hummed at her. "The schedule said-", "I know what the schedule said. I made it" I cut her off and turned around. "Just do your next task". She nodded and eventually walked off. I walked over to the tack room and grabbed some reins. I attached the reins to Blue Moon's halter and led her away from her stable. I stopped her before I swiftly jumped on her back using her mane. I let the reins hang loosely on her neck and clicked my tongue. The thing with Blue Moon is that I can control her with my seat and body, she doesn't need a bit in her mouth. In fact most of my horses can be ridden bitless. Her hooves swiftly moved over the pebbles as she walked toward the docks. I took a less filthy route. The filthy route meaning through the city of Small Heath. The clean route is through the forest and field. The birds chirped as we walked throught the forest. Leaves rustling as animals walked through the bushes. The old mare not giving a damn about them and casually walking further.

Eventually the forest started to end and we came near the canal of Small Heath

Eventually the forest started to end and we came near the canal of Small Heath. I needed to go through the city to end up at the docks.  The horse shoes made loud noises as it connected with the cobblestones of the street. Finally the docks came into my vision. As we arrived some of my transportation workers greeted me. I stopped Blue Moon I front of my office and hopped down. "Hamilton" I called out for one of the younger males. I saw him jogg towards me and give me a questioning look. "Can you hold her for me. Give her some water as well" I said and handed the reins to the young lad. He nodded and took her to one of the water buckets. I turned around and walked inside the building with my office. I opened the door and saw two of the new janitors cleaning my office. I walked over towards my desk and let the janitors continue doing what they are paid to do.  "Who are you? The bosses secretary or something?" The tallest asked. I chuckled at him "your boss in a matter of fact". I saw him gulp before I went back to sorting. "You're Thomas Shelby's girl, right" the smallest one asked me. I looked up at him. "If you want to continue doing this job. I suggest you keep your head down and mouth shut if you are near me" I told him and gave him a glare that could send him to the grave. "Now get out" I ordered them. They quickly left my office and I grabbed the documents from my desk. It's letters, transportation documents, racing documents and other things. I flipped through the pile of envelops with the documents, sorting them from importaint to least importaint. I eventually took the importaint once and opened them. Quickly reading them. Eventually I went back outside and called for Hamilton. He came back with Blue Moon. I thanked him and got on her back and made my way back home.

When I arrived home I went to my office. Writing some letters and filling in the documents. It took so long and it was boring work. Finally I got it done and I sat back with a sigh. I rubbed my temple "I need a break" I said with a sigh. An idea popped into my head and I got up and quickly retrieved my coat and car keys. It was to far to ride horseback after all. I was going to a familiar club in London. As I drove the car across the country I came in the bussling city. I got to the club and got out my car. I stared up at the club. I put my keys in my pocket before walking inside. The owner of the club is Darby Sabini. He controls the gambling in the racing tracks of the South, as well as various bases around London. I've met him before at the race track. My mind raced back to the day I met him. It happened about 2 years ago.

I was sitting at one of the tables and watched the horse walk up to the gates one by one. I grabbed my binoculars and looked towards my horse. Yeah, you know him. The Black King. "You're Adira Shaw, right" a male voice asked. I lowered my binoculars and saw that the chair across from me was being occupied. I had seen the man around the south race track before. It was Darby Sabini. I nodded at him confimring he was right. "And you're Darby Sabini, correct?". He too nodded at me. "So The Black King is your horse then?" He asked pointed towards the track. I nodded at him "bred and trained him myself". He nodded impressed. "I've heard good things about you and your horses. But I have never seen them run" he said and turned to watch the race that was about to start. "What can I say. You should've come to the north then" I replied. He chuckled at me. He told me that he noticed many had bet on my horse. I hadn't expected anything else to be honest, he won everything. We watched every horse get in the box and ran off right after the gates opened. King was 5th out of 12. He stayed back as the finished came closer. "Guess your horse doesn't like the south" Darby said leaning back in the chair. I didn't answer or gave him a look. I was still calm and collected. 300 to go and King made it to 3rd place. 200 to go and the annoumcer was yelling excitedly as King ran faster from the outside. 20 to go and King passed the leader taking 1st place. He gave it his all and came 1st with 2 seconds ahead.

I turned to look back at Mr Sabini

I turned to look back at Mr Sabini. "Don't judge a horse, Mr Sabini. He might win after all" I said with a cheeky smirk before standing up. After that race, I entered more of my horses for the South races. Darby always managed to sit at my table as my horses ran the track. Months later he told me that he had a club and gave me the adress. "Tell them my name. You'll get free drinks" he said with a smile. "I appreciate it, but I am able to pay for my drinks" I said referring to the money I make from the horse races. He nodded "I know. But you're good business for my races. People come when they see your horses names on the racing list" he said. "I'll promise I will visit. But it's quite a drive" I explained to him. He nodded in understanding.

To be honest. I never trusted Sabini fully. I was right after all. Cause a year after meeting him. He betrayed me. He knew about my gang business and offered protection. But of course it didn't take long before he tried taking over. Like Thomas he also didn't succeed and I got more powerfull after that. He isn't much of a threat anymore and I could still get my free drinks. Even if I am alone none of them would try something against me. So that is a plus. If I was actually interested in owning a club. It would've been mine a long time ago. Sabini and his men know this so he doesn't challenge me again. I'm a Queen after all.

Published: 29 november 2020