Collide

Keefe Sencen stood on the corner of a rundown street. Dressed in a thin coat, and worn-out trousers he discreetly watched the kings messenger as he stood up the platform. The man unrolled his scroll and cleared his throat. 

"A proclamation from the royal house." 

Keefe listened intently wondering if the royals were going to address the state of the country. Though the Ruewen family had made leaps and bounds since taking over from the corrupt rule of King Bronte, the damage would take many more years to fix. They had been handed an impossible situation. Hailed hero by many, for their continued sacrifice and work putting the country back together, but hated by those who supported the greedy and spiteful ways of the previous king. There were rumors of rebellion stirring, fed by the nobles who had benefited from Bronte's harsh, merciless ways.

King Grady and Queen Edaline had more support than they realized though. When they had personally visited the provinces, providing food and clothing to all, many had been astounded by their kindness and selflessness. When a band of nobles had announced, hoping to stir rumors and tempers, that the princess was not the biological daughter of the king and queen but an adopted orphan, they had been hailed generous and loving to take in a child that was not their own. 

Speaking of Princess Sophie, the messenger recited the announcement of her selection. A royal tradition. Keefe cocked his head to the side, feeling bad for the princess. Who wanted to find the love of their life like that. Besides, most of the men who signed up would only be tempted by the shiny title of king. 

Turning away from the small crowd gathered to witness the statement, Keefe paced forward lost in thought. He stumbled as he collided with a small figure covered by a dark cloak. He placed his hands on her shoulders to steady her.

"Sorry about that miss, I wasn't paying attention," he offered.

"It's quite alright, I should have been paying attention as well. Hard for you to see me from all the way up there," she laughed. 

Keefe chuckled, he towered over almost everyone at his height of 6.5. This girl seemed rather short though, creating a very noticeable difference. She couldn't have been more than 5.3, and even through the thick cloak he could tell she was very slim.

"So what brings you to this part of town?" Keefe questioned. Judging by the quality of her cloak, she had money. Why this girl would be in a caste 5 village he didn't know.

"I-um, well. I'm visiting cousins! Yes, they live just near here. I was on my way home, when I stopped to listen to that royal announcement." she said lifting her head just enough that he could see sparkling brown eyes under the edge of her hood.

Her explanation rang false, but Keefe concluded that it wasn't really his business. Nodding his head at her, he spoke,

"Yes, family is very important. Especially in these times." He couldn't resist asking one more question.  "May I ask your name?

"Oh, uh yes. I'm--err...Soph." She held out her hand and he placed a kiss on her knuckles. "And you are?"

"Names Keefe."

"Good to meet you Keefe. I've got to be on my way or my parents will worry, but it was nice conversing with with you."

"You as well, Soph. Safe travels." She gave him a small smile before darting forward. Disappearing into the crowd.

Keefe continued on, taking the dusty road towards the small house he lived in with his parents. His father was always complaining about how Keefe never helped anywhere and how he always had to do everything himself. His mother made no effort to defend him, and basically only spent the money Keefe earned for his tapestry's and paintings on personal comforts.

Despite his lack luster home life, Keefe found joy in his artwork. Which he had discovered his talent for after he entered the village art competition three years ago. Edwin, a palace artisan who'd been passing through, had taken one look at Keefe's painting and declared that he had a bright future. Ever since Edwin had sent supplies, and Keefe sent Edwin finished pieces which he was compensated for. The paintings were the main source of support for his family. Even though his father Cassius consistently complained about the uselessness of the ability.

One day, Keefe hoped to move into caste 2 city, and pursue his dreams of becoming a place artist.

He was drawn from his daydreams when he found himself in front of a familiar brown door. Sighing, already hearing his fathers high pitched complaining, Keefe pushed open the door.