Flying

The four selected gazed up at the huge mechanical bird.

"What is that?" Ruy scoffed. "You don't actually expect me to put my life in the hands of an untested flying machine! I thought you were messing with me, this is unacceptable!"

"This is most definitely a tested and safe type of transportation. It is simply uncommon, and only known and used among our royalty. They have generously provided flight to the selected members so you'll have a smoother trip." The maroon man calmly stated. "Unless you'd rather take a seven hour car ride, which we would be happy to provide."

Ruy huffed, "Let's just go."

While Ruy and the man were speaking, Conner and Keefe continued to gawk at the flying vehicle fixed with wings and giant engines which supposedly thrust it forward through the air. 

"I can't believe it fly's." Keefe finally said. "It must be at least 30,000 pounds."

"Its huge." was all Conner said as he continued to stare at the plane. 

Fitz didn't have much reaction to the plane, so Keefe gathered Fitz had already been on one. His fathers position would be high enough to be in the loop.

"Gentlemen if you could please follow me. We have to board now if you want to be on time for the castle arrival."

The maroon suited man led them up a ramp to the door of the plane. Keefe blew out a breath when he saw the inside of the plane. 

It was the size of his home living room, and possibly one of the most modern settings he'd ever laid eyes on. The room was colored with different shades of dark brown and cream. Each side of the plane had a large couch and two addition chairs. One couch had a large coffee table with coffee cups and a snack basket laid out. Next to the other couch was a large eating table with four place settings. There were two TV's located above the second chairs. Keefe was still taking in the room when the maroon man exited.

"Enjoy the flight, you'll be landing in two hours. Best of luck with the selection."

When the door shut Conner walked over to one of the chairs, immediately turning on a movie. "I don't know about you guys but I'm gonna chill until we get there. Something tells me the selection won't be peaceful."

Ruy snorted, "We're competing with thirty-four other guys to win the hand of one princess. There's not a chance it will be peaceful." He didn't say anything more and sat down calling for a meal to be brought out. Keefe rolled his eyes at Ruy's demanding attitude. He hoped for the sake of the kingdom that the princess didn't choose such an infuriating man.

Keefe and Fitz were the last to sit down, and they ended up sitting next to each other on the couch. They were helping themselves to some of the snack basket when a voice blasted over a speaker.

"Hello gentlemen. This is your pilot speaking. Welcome onboard the Paragon Aircraft with service to Eternalia. We are expected to be in the air in approximately seven minutes time. I ask that you please fasten your seat belts at this time and secure any items underneath your seat or in the overhead compartments." Fitz slid his book into a small bag and shoved it beneath the couch. "I also ask that you sit in an upright position for take-off. Any fire, smoke, or other possibly dangerous activities are prohibited for the duration of the flight. Thank you for your cooperation.  I sincerely hope you enjoy your flight." 

With a final beep the speaker turned off, and an engine roared on. The four of them clicked on seat belts. When the plane jolted to a start, Keefe gripped an armchair anxiously. Shortly after, they were zooming down the runway. 

Keefe felt the airplane lift off the ground. His stomach dropped and he inhaled nervously. He felt his ears pop as they climbed through the altitudes. When they were safely in the air, Keefe relaxed. He looked out the window, and was astounded by the clouds, looking like white cotton candy. The air conditioner blew through his hair, and Keefe cracked a grin. 

"So this is what it feels like to fly, it's amazing." Keefe said, looking out the window.

"It is." Fitz replied. "I can't believe you're all so calm. The first time I flew I was so panicked that my dad had to hold my hand. Granted I was eight and not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, but he repeated that blasted phrase so many times I got sick of it for life. 'No reason to worry.' Its kind of his thing."

Keefe thought of Cassius, he wasn't sure his father had ever held his hand. "Huh," was all he answered."

They sat in silence for a few minutes until Conner shouted, "Do you know when we meet the princess?"

Fitz, likely the only one of them who actually knew anything about what was happening, responded. "Not until at least tomorrow night. We'll have to go through alterations and restyling when we get there. Then we'll be escorted to our rooms, and I'm sure you'll meet your attendants. It will probably take an hour or two to figure out the room situations. My dad told me the selected will eat together the first night, so that's the best time to introduce yourself to the others." 

He kept rumbling on about exploring the castle and the agenda for the second day but Keefe's mind was still stuck on some of his previous words.

"Alterations and restyling?"

Fitz snorted, "Oh yeah. It's like an hour of random people fixing your style and hair or whatever. My dad had a friend who competed in Bronte's selection before he canceled the whole thing and decided he didn't want a wife. She said it was the most annoying part, especially because she thought her style was fine."

Keefe decided then and there that no one would be changing his amazing hair. He dared them to try it.

"Well this is all fine an dandy, but some of us are trying to enjoy the silence!" Ruy snapped.

Keefe and Fitz looked at each other and rolled their eyes before bursting out laughing. Causing Ruy to yell at them again. 

The flight went smoothly after that, everyone mostly quiet and thinking. All the while getting closer and closer to the castle, the princess, and the selection.