Photograph

Keefe and his mother had left their home early this morning to head to Lumenaria. The city was the closest one doing Selection photographs. As they trotted down the road on horses they had lent from one of Gisela's 'city friends,' Keefe fiddled with the solid gold weight resting above his heart. 

When they had left home his father had stopped him and handed him the family crest. Saying "You're finally proving yourself a Sencen. Don't mess it up." 

Keefe had mixed opinions about the crest. On one hand he was proud to wear it, finally deserving in his fathers eyes--after twenty years; On the other he felt as though his father was only proud if he rose in ranks and wealth. Looking up, Keefe saw the distant city buildings. He tucked the gold crest inside his cloak, and turned to face his mother.

"How long will this take?" Keefe asked.

"I assume the wait will be a few hours, but the picture shouldn't take more that five minutes." his mother responded.

They both settled into silence for the next half hour, as the city grew closer and closer. Lumenaria was one of the most secure provinces, the walls all made out of material that didn't burn. Secondary criminals were secured in the prison on the far side of the city. It also contained more diversity among its citizens then any other province.

The dirt road became cobblestone as they approached the first buildings. The silver structures stood at impressive heights. They past large homes, shops, and offices on their way to central park. A few blocks from the Cheif's Establishment, they found the end of a long line of young men.

"Well that looks miserable, have fun! I'll meet you back here after your picture." Gisela said turning away from Keefe."

"You're leaving?" Keefe questioned.

"I'm not in the mood to wait, plus I'm meeting up with a couple old friends."

"Okay, bye I guess."  

Well that was strange Keefe thought as his mother turned away, and he joined the back of the line. Keefe found himself behind a short boy with a round face and messy brown hair. When the boy turned to face him he also noticed his deep ocean blue eyes and friendly grin. 

"Hi I'm Jensi!" the boy spoke happily.

Goaded by the warm greeting, Keefe returned the smile, "I'm Keefe."

"That's a cool name! What province are you from? Also, you're really tall? You're so lucky! I wish I was tall. Why do you want to enter the selection? Have you seen the princess? Is she pretty? I heard shes beautiful! Kinda sucks to have to chose a husband this way though. I hope she picks well, he's gonna be our king after all. I wonder if I'll get in? Do you think you'll get in? Speaking of, the line for this picture is taking FOREVER! I hope they go faster. Did you see how many guys there are? Golly gee!" Jensi spoke in an endless stream of energetic questions and comments.

"Woah there, I can barely keep up with you." Keefe said with a small chuckle.

"Sorry about that! My mom says I talk to much too! It's just kind of a habit! I have so many thoughts to get out, does that happen to you? Ah, probably not. Mom says i'm very unique! But my bother always complains, especially when he has his friends over. Apparently I'm embar--oops I'm doing it again aren't I?" Jensi said when he noticed Keefe's smirk.

"It's fine, we have a long time to wait anyway."

By the time they neared the front of the line, Keefe felt like he knew more about Jensi then he did his parents. Jensi was from the province of Foxfire. He had a brother named Blur, who was always super mysterious and never around, but apparently had a thing for ombre color blurring clothes. His best friend Valin had a bad habit of drooling in his sleep--ew. So he and his very large group of guy friends had nicknamed themselves the 'drooly boys' to tease him. And he really liked a sweet called 'mallowmelt' that his dad made.

Glancing ahead Jensi continued, "Oh we're almost there! Mom said I had to come directly home after the picture so I won't be able to say goodbye, but it was awesome talking to you! I hope I see you again, and that you get into the selection! He waved goodbye as a man called next.

The following three minutes passed quickly before the man poked his head out of the door and called him in.

Keefe stepped inside the foyer, and momentarily paused--awed by the splendor of the entrance hall. He sprung out of the trance when the man barked at him to keep moving. He followed the guy into a room filled with high tech lighting, cameras, lenses, and other equipment. Keefe deducted that this room was more expensive that six years worth of food. 

A woman sitting on a stool pointed him towards a small chair. 

"Hi dear, I'm Alina. If you could just give me your name so I can write it down."

"Keefe Sencen."

"And how do you spell Sencen?"

"S-e-n-c-e-n."

"Perfect, that you. Now I'd appreciate it if you straightened that posture and gave me a smile."

Keefe tilted his lips upward as the flash went off.

"Thanks, dear. Sir Astin here will show you out."

The man from earlier reappeared, giving Keefe a nod he led him out a side entrance. Keefe thanked him, and walked torward a bench to wait for his mother. 

About forty-five minutes later Gisela appeared with a swift gusto.

"Good, you're done. Did they have any difficulties with the picture?"

"Nope, it was easy."

"Alright, the announce the selected names in two days. We'll just have to wait, and you better hope your name is called. Now, lets go. Hopefully we'll make it back home before dinner."