Selected

Two days after the pictures Keefe stood next to his parents with his eyes on the big screen. Only some of the wealthiest people had their own televisions, and everyone else gathered in the central area of their province where they could watch kingdom announcements, interviews, ect. on a public screen.

They were spaced a pretty far distance away from other people because his parents glares kept everyone away. Cassius and Gisela were taunt as strings with their hawk eyes pierced on the television. Keefe was a little freaked out too, but he kept his stance relaxed as the screen flickered on.

A man with shoulder length black hair, dark skin, and sapphire blue eyes appeared with a large smile.

"Hello Eternalia, I'm Emery! Here to bring you the latest news in our kingdom. Now before we get to what I know you're all waiting for, we have the royal family here with us tonight! Ladies and gentlemen please welcome King Grady and Queen Edaline Ruewen!"

King Grady had blond hair, bright blue eyes, and a very chiseled face. His angular features were relaxed with a casual smile. To complete the look, he was dressed in a bright blue vest with a gray undershirt and trousers. To his left Queen Edaline looked like the epitome of delicacy. She had lively turquoise eyes and way amber hair. The queen was dressed in a simple green gown with beading around the neckline and shear sleeves, which emphasized her beautiful hair color. She smiled at the camera with nearly blinding white teeth and full painted lips.

Keefe was distracted from his analysis when Emerys spoke again.

"And finally Princess Sophie Elizabeth Foster Ruewen!"

The king and queen stepped aside to reveal an angel. A beautiful angel sent from heaven to bless the earth with her beauty. The Princess had wavy blonde hair that reached just past her shoulders. Her eyes were a warm shade of honey brown with flecks of gold. Somewhere in the back of Keefe's mind a flare of recognition registered, but he shook it off. He would have remembered ever meeting a girl like this. She seemed to glow as Keefe watched her small smile highlight her features. Princess Sophie wore a deep red dress with delicate gold details and a simple gold chain around her neck. 

Despite himself, Keefe couldn't help but notice an uncomfortable aura surrounding her. It wouldn't be obvious to many, Keefe suspected his emotional gift assisted his observations. He watched her stiff shoulders and hands clasped together suggesting that she didn't enjoy being the center of attention. Shyness is an odd trait for a princess, Keefe thought. 

Mentally shrugging he realized he had missed some of Emrey's words while watching the princess. He turned his attentions to the talking man.

"--excited to be hosting the Princesses Selection! Hopefully the entries have read all the rules, terms, and conditions because from what I hear, this will be no walk in the park. Best of luck to all who entered and without further ado...

The Selected!"

"Were kicking it off with the first of thirty-five provinces, our Serenvale representative! The selected is...Lur Mitya!" An image of a man with dark, earthy skin and large green eyes flashed on the screen.

"Lur is a caste 4, he enjoys gardening, music, and singing. He's fluent in several launguages. These include English, Eng lightened Language, Roman, Greek, Spanish, Dutch, French, Italian, Indonesian, Japanese, and Russian. Man, that's quite the list! Congratulations Lur."

"Next up from the province of Foxfire...Dex Dizznee!" Keefe was a little disappointed when Jensi wasn't called, and instead a picture of a boy with curly strawberry blond hair, periwinkle eyes, and dimples showed up on the television. 

"Dex is a Caste 6. Some of his interests include inventing and tinkering with technology and and helping with alchemy at his fathers apothecary, Slurps and Burps. He loves spending time with his mother, father, and three triplet siblings. Congratulations on becoming a selected Dex!"

Emerys went through several more provinces. A two from the province of Everglen, Fitz Vacker. Another two from the province of Ravagog, Botros Mercadir, a tough, scary looking guy. Wylie Endal, a five from the province of Alluveterre. Bora Wayward, a three from the Exillium Province. 

Emerys went through another seventeen guys before he finally called out the dreaded words. Time seemed to slow and he spoke...

"And from the province of Candleshade--" his parents forms tightened even more, and Keefe's breath skipped. 

"Congratulations to Keefe Scencen!"

Keefe stilled. Had he heard that right, there was no way. Their must have been at least five hundred Candleshade entries, it couldn't possibly be...

The picture he had posed for only two days earlier gleamed on the screen, his smirk mocking him.

"Keefe is Caste 5. He enjoys art, learning about emotions, mimicking his peers voices, benefiting from his photographic memory, and pulling epic pranks! Congratulations Keefe, can't wait to see you in competition!"

Still in shock, Keefe turned towards his parents. He didn't hear any more of the contestants names, the buzz of unbelief running through his head. Gisela's face was alight with satisfaction, and his fathers pleasure. 

"Good job Keefe." Cassius slapped him on the back.

"We'll have to pack you for the castle. I'm sure they'll provide you with most everything you need, but we'd appear uncaring if we didn't send you with a bag. Now lets get home. It's not important to see who else was selected, you'll meet them there." Gisela spoke, turning away from the crowd.

Keefe followed his parents, in no mood to argue.  He couldn't believe it. He, Keefe Sencen, was in the selection.