Alterations and Restyling

The plane finally touched down around two-thirty in the afternoon. The four selected members were escorted to another limousine. When Keefe saw the crowd awaiting them, it really sunk in that he was no longer in Candleshade. This was Eternalia. They royal city. 

Men and women in tuxes and dresses held microphones, giant cameras, clipboards, and wore bulky headsets. They swarmed the limo while the security tried to push them back. Questions were being shouted from all sides.

"Tell us how you felt when you got selected?" "Fitz Vacker how does it feel to be competing for the daughter of the family your father works for?" "What are you most looking forward to?" "Is this your first time in the royal city?" "Tell us Conner, did you see yourself entering the selection when you were younger?" "Whats your best personality trait?" "Keefe, will you give us the inside scoop on the selected once you get in their?" "What family do you come from?" "Why did you enter the selection?" 

They came in rapid succession, and Keefe barely knew who the questions were aimed at. He watched Ruy preen in the attention, answering every question asked. Conner seemed a little overwhelmed, and Fitz walked forward casually like he was used to the chaos. Keefe internally snorted, he probably was used to the chaos.

Keefe decided to enjoy the moment and slapped on an easy going grin. As he was ushered closer to the limo, he waved at the cameras. Over all, it took them about fifteen minutes before they were seated in the vehicle with the doors closed.

"That was crazy. Is it always like that?" Conner asked blowing out a gust of air. 

"Pretty much." Fitz replied.

"If you can't handle it you should just go home now. Leave the selection to those of us who are qualified." Ruy sneered.

Conner just rolled his eyes. The ride was quick, and before long the tall towers of the palace came into view. Keefe was awestruck by the sheer size of of it, not to mention the beautiful architecture. Perhaps even more stunning though, was the clear lake reflecting the sky. Keefe's vision was continuously drawn back to its glassy depths. Tearing his eyes away, he noticed some of the other features. A great lawn, a cobblestone entryway, impressive trees, it was incredible.  Keefe had never seen anything like it.

The limo rolled up to a massive gate which opened accordingly. They moved closer and closer, and before he knew it, they had stopped. Keefe inhaled shakily as the door opened. His feet hit the stone and carried him forwards. None of the other selected spoke. This was it. No turning back now.

One of the large doors opened, and a man with a smile stepped out.

"Welcome, we're so glad to have you. I'm Sir Conley. I'll be taking you to alterations and restyling, while giving you the basic information. Please follow me."

Ruy shoved past Keefe to be right behind Sir Conley. By this point Keefe was about done with Ruy. He smirked to himself, and moved directly behind him. As they stated to walk, Keefe brought his foot down on the back of Ruy's shoe. He immediately moved back to Conner pretending to be looking at a painting. Keefe chuckled as Ruy stumbled and then reached down to fix it before turning to glare. His gaze promised menace, but Keefe found himself wanting to laugh harder. Conner was outright chuckling, and even Fitz looked like he was losing the battle to grin.

"Are you coming?" Sir Conley questioned.

"Yes, sorry." Fitz responded.

"Quite alright. Now, listen, as it's important for you to know your way around. This is the grand staircase, a fabulous entrance to the castle. The doors here open to the great hall. Many announcements and events are held in here. Others that require more space are held in the ball room, which is in the west wing. We won't be passing that but I'm sure you'll be in there eventually. It's right next to the main library, where we have over seventy-five thousand titles if you're interested in reading. The west wing also houses the rulers gallery, observatory, and one of the main entrances to the Ward. The Ward is our inner courtyard. There is at least one access to it in each wing. It's one of the queens favorite places due to the extensive amount of white roses and lavender flowers. Now, the east wing houses all the royal family members. You won't be permitted in that space without explicit permission, but it has private chambers, library's, studio's, and others of the sort. Down this hall are reception and common rooms. You'll gather in the men's common room before activities or to socialize. Later you'll be escorted to your bedrooms which are located by the north tower. You're very lucky, those have excellent views of the royal gardens. Each of your rooms will also have their own connected bath chamber. In the south wing we have the kitchens, dining hall, pantries, and just outside of it is the herb garden. Throughout the castle there's also an array of art and music rooms, day rooms, and powder rooms. Please stay out of the maids quarters and barracks which are located behind the west wing. We would like to respect their privacy and free time. Ah, and here we are. These are the castles styling rooms. The woman's are located on the other side. Please wait in the sitting room until you're called in.

Sir Conley left them after that, and the four selected made their way into the room. Once inside they found around sixteen other men on couched or chairs. Most of them looked up when they walked in but few acknowledged them.

One man called for Fitz, and Keefe kind of recognized him from the selection announcement. However, he couldn't place the exact name. Fitz turned to Keefe saying it was good to meet him, repeating it to Conner. Then he left to go talk to the man. Ruy moved towards a group of prideful looking posh dudes. Great, he'll fit right in.

Conner and Keefe went to a seating area in the back with just one occupant. The strawberry blond guy looked up when the sat down.

"Hi, I'm Dex."

"Hey, I'm Keefe and this is Conner."

"Cool."

"When did you get here?" Conner asked.

"About fifteen minutes ago. I heard they're just finishing setting up, so it shouldn't be long." 

"Alright sounds good." 

They three men talked for a few more minutes before a guy poked his head out.

"Can we have all the available selected in. You'll be our first group."

They stood up and walked through to find about forty rooms. Each room was sectioned off by curtains and had a large mirror, chair, and a storage compartment. The footsteps of the men echoed as they were all moved into their own space. Keefe quickly said goodbye to Dex and Conner before the curtain closed.

He found himself alone with three guys. Each held all sorts of random tools Keefe had never seen.

"Hello son." A tall man with dark hair spoke. "We'll try to keep this quick because it's no ones favorite part. We call it alterations and restyling so your masculinity isn't threatened but its really just a makeover. Now, Ollie take his measurements so we can start on his wardrobe. Noland do you think we should give him the classic trend haircut or a more unique look?"

"Hey. Hey. Hey. No one is touching the hair. Okay. It is staying the same, and that's not up for debate." Keefe said, cutting off their discussion.

"Alright fine, you have a good enough build to make that work if you want. Looks like we won't be needing you after all Nolan. This will be a short one."

The blond guy with scissors nodded before ducking out of the room. It took about twenty minutes for the one guy to get measurements with the tall man bossing him around.

"The first part of your wardrobe will be brought in by tonight. You can head out the way you came, someone with be there to take you to your quarters."

"Thanks." Keefe rushed. Hurrying out of there before they thought of something else to do. 

In the sitting room, eight more selected that had clearly just arrived were waiting. Near the wall another group of older guys in suits stood. One of them beckoned for Keefe, and took him out the door. The man didn't talk, but brought Keefe through a series of halls and doorways. When they finally stopped, he spoke.

"This is your bedchamber sir. You'll have some time to yourself before your attendants are introduced."

Keefe thanked him and walked in. He found himself suddenly hit with a wave of sleepiness, exhausted from the days events. He barely looked at the room, vaguely acknowledging that it was very nice, before crashing on the large bed.

Thanks so much for your support on this story, I love reading your comments!