joy

"Jihyo, that's not a good idea," Sana said in a serious tone. "LA isn't a place for a 17-year-old girl to wander around alone, especially without any sort of guardian."

"Sana, it wouldn't be permanent unless I found somebody to stay with. I'd go for the pride parade on June 14th, and then I'd come home."

Sana furrowed her eyebrows. "It's June 3rd, you can't just wander the streets of LA for 11 days. Where would you even stay?"

"I'd get a hotel or something." I shrugged.

"And where are you going to get the money for that, Jihyo?" Sana frowned. "Your Mom may be loaded, but that gives her more reason to protect her money where people like you who want to steal it won't find it."

Sana had a point. My plan wasn't well-thought-out. At all. But I would figure it out.

"Sana, I can do this. I'm leaving tonight," I declared, more to myself than Sana. "That'll give me the rest of the afternoon to get money, book a hotel, pack, and leave."

"Jihyo-," Sana began.

"No, I don't care what you say, I'm going," I cut her off. "And I don't know if I'm going to come back...," I added.

As I said that, I realized that if I could get in contact with a certain somebody, I'd have somewhere to stay. I might even be able to permanently stay with said person.

When my cousins, aunts, and uncles visited last time, there were a few people that couldn't make it to the gathering. One of them was my cousin (who's older than me by 7 years), joy. Joy and I were actually pretty close, despite the age gap, and I'd bet she'd let me stay with her.

So, I called her.

"Hello?"

"Hi! It's Jihyo."

"Oh! Jihyo! How've you been, girlie?"

"Well... could be better, which is why I'm calling. I know this is a lot to ask... but could I stay with you?"

"For how long?"

"Heh... I really don't know that far. Til' June 14th at the shortest..."

"Why?"

"Well... my house isn't the safest for me lately. Mom says she doesn't consider me her daughter anymore."

"Oh, gosh! Of course, you can, Jihyo. You know the address. When will you be here?"

"Wow, you didn't hesitate. Is it okay if I get here really late tonight? Like, before sunrise?"

"Honestly, I don't care. I'm usually awake until 2 am or something, so anytime is all good. You're welcome to stay for as long as you need. Just be careful not to let the cat out when you get here."

"Thank you, Joy, so much."

With that, I hung up.

That night, I had packed up everything I needed, charged my phone, and I was going to leave in an hour or two.

I guess in the beginning I didn't think of everything I was leaving behind. Family, the animals, school, memories... but most importantly? Sana, dahyun, and Chae. I had told them in the group chat I was leaving, but I hadn't bothered to look at what they had to see. It didn't matter. I was leaving either way, and I'd miss them a shit ton either way.

Not much longer and it was eleven. I said goodbye to all the animals and snuck out of the house. I climbed in the car, throwing all my things in the back.

And then I was gone.