Long Way Down - pt 2

I drove her to the hospital as quickly as I possibly could. The engine revved as I sped along towards the General Hospital sign hanging in glowing red and white. Once I had parked the car y/n leaped out and ran. It took all my extra energy to continue to run after her. We entered the old building and went right to the reception.

"Excuse me? Where is Sam l/n?" The receptionist turned at y/n and shook her head, an apologetic look in her eyes.

"You aren't allowed to see him yet, unfortunately. He is with the doctors right now, I'm sorry dear. They are trying to figure out what happened-" A tear dripped down y/n's face as she cut her off.

"No, you need to let me see him NOW. I need to see him now. Please." Her soft plea became more of an angry tone as the receptionist, Lia, shook her head again. "NO! LET ME IN." She gasped for breath as she tried slamming into the glass doors that separated the entrance and emergency rooms. As she continued her angry rant, I grabbed her, trying to hold her back. She fought against me, clawing at my back, and continued pounding the door, begging it to open. She pressed all the buttons around it, but nothing happened. I grabbed her free arm but she pushed me back. She didn't hurt me, she just made it clear she didn't need me stepping in.

"SAM? LET. ME. in. Please Sammy. Be ok. I need you. I don't know what I would do without you. I don't know, I don't... please." Y/n's voice broke and turned to sobs as she fell against the door and slid down. She hugged her knees and rambled under her breath.

The receptionist looked at me sadly. "Would you like me to tell you when you're able to see Sam?" I nodded and said thank you. I walked to y/n's small figure on the ground.

I bent down with her and took her hand in mine. She looked up at me with a broken smile, trying to reassure me that she was fine. I shook my head and picked her up. She had tired herself out with her worries and rants. She just quietly wrapped her arms around my neck, finally calm. I felt her pounding heartbeat soften as I released my hold, and dropped her gently into one of the waiting chairs. She didn't let go at first, and whispered into my ear: "Thank- thank you. I'm just kinda- kinda tired i'm-"

"I'll get us some coffee eh?" She nodded sleepily. I walked off, determined to find coffee for her. As I looked back, she looked so fragile and broken. My heart ached at her sleeping self.

I returned with our coffee just as the boys, and the rest of her family got there. The parents looked distressed and confused. I walked to them and they immediately started to ask a million questions. I answered as many as I could, and tried to apologize more than I possibly could.

"We came as fast as we could, but the traffic- how did you get here so fast?" Y/n's mom asked me as she leaned on her husband.

"Y/n knew a quicker route, we would have called you but we didn't bring our phones. I'm so sorry." The mom shook her head and cupped my cheek with her palm. Then her face twisted.

"Where's y/n?"

I glanced over at her sleeping. Harry immediately went to see her.

"Hey man. Give her this, will ya? I handed him the cup of coffee. I watched him sit in the chair next to her, as she woke up. She smiled but her eyes were still glassy and vacant. She looked over at us, and we made eye contact. She mouthed 'thank you' to me and I wondered if it was for the coffee or... Then Harry began to speak, and she broke eye contact.

Y/n's POV

I mouthed 'thank you' at Niall. He gave me a soft, perfect smile, and I questioned myself once again. What had I meant thank you for? The coffee? No. My heart had been crushed, and Niall had been there to help me pick up some pieces. He hadn't done much, but it was all the difference. I had hope. I got so lost staring at Niall, that when Harry spoke it made me jump. We apologized at the same time and he laughed softly. My eyes still stung from crying, but I forced them into a smile.