01 | SUGAR BABY

"What about that guy? The one over at the bar?" Rosalie, one of my closest friends, asks, nodding her head in the direction of the bar across the room

I squint. "The one who hasn't left the bar all night or the one who is clearly ogling the guy in the dark blue suit?"

Rosalie gives me a look.

"What?" I ask, taking a sip of my water. The night's coming to an end and it seems about time to slow down. "Tell me, Rosa, do you want me to date an alcoholic or a gay dude? I'm going to assume that the gay dude is going to oppose to a romantic relationship with me, a woman, so, that just leaves me with possible domestic abuse and rehab. Isn't that every girl's dream?"

As Rosalie rolls her eyes at me, Scarlett, another one of my friends, leans into me from my other side. We're seated at a table in the corner of the room at the Chateau's grand ballroom enduring yet another business dinner. God knows why we have so many.

"What about that guy? The one who's talking to Bianca's fiancé?" she asks.

I sigh, audibly, trying to let my well-intentioned friends know that I didn't come for a business dinner to scope out the 'talent'. Especially not when it's always the same crowd at all of them.

"That's Travis Smith," I tell her, "He has a girlfriend. And, I distinctly remember him telling me in high school, 'Isa, you're such a bro'. So, that might rule him out."

Aiden, Rosalie's husband, lowers himself between our chairs and grins. "Are we talking about the very many guys in our high school who bro-zoned Isa?" he asks, teasingly.

I elbow Aiden for lack of a better response, and because it was true.

"Are we just about done with looking for a man for me?" I ask, spooning some chocolate mousse off my plate and into my mouth. I tilt my head back and look up at the gleaming crystal chandelier that hung in the middle of the room.

Jenna sucks her teeth from the other side of the table. "I guess not, since you want a boyfriend and do not have one."

"First of all," I say, holding up one finger to my group of friends, sitting around our table, "I am not looking for a boyfriend. Second of all, why aren't we talking about looking for a boyfriend or girlfriend for Jenna? She doesn't have either. Third of all, we're all adults with full lives and professions and interests. Can't we discuss something more mentally stimulating?"

Jenna shrugs. "We're not looking for someone for me because I am completely in love with my roommate – further proven by the fact that I earn enough to not need a roommate," she says, completely glossing over my two other very valid points.

I point a finger at her. "She admitted it! She's in love with her roommate! Let's jump on that."

Scarlett rolls her eyes. She's very good at rolling her eyes. They do a beautiful full circle. "The fact that Jenna is in love with her roommate is painfully obvious. So, we have time to focus on you."