12 | THERAPIST

EIGHT YEARS AGO

EIGHT YEARS AGO

You're extremely annoying.

Ah, the loving texts that your extremely wonderful girlfriend sends you.

I can't help, but smile.

It's been two months since I told my angel that I love her.

Two wonderful months where we've shown each other just how much we love each other.

Also, two months where we didn't get to spend a whole lot of time together with how much work she and I both put into our work.

She's being playfully mad at me right now.

I continue walking as fast as I can down the street as I type my reply.

But you love me.

I grin, waiting for her reply.

I'm getting closer.

I can't wait to see my angel.

She has no idea that I'm coming to her.

I can almost see Lily shake her head at me through her reply: You know, I really hate you sometimes.

I smile some more.

I know, angel.

I don't type that message. I only think it because now, I'm right outside the diner she's in.

She's there with all her friends from her debate team and a debate team from another University.

The bell above the door jingles as I walk in and I can see her.

Lily is sitting at a booth in the back, surrounded by her friends. She's facing the other way, so she doesn't know that I'm here.

Her friend from the debate team, Jeremy is the one who told me that they would be here. He sees me and gives me the smallest of nods.

I nod back at him.

As I approach the table, more of her friends see me, they try to make it seem as if they don't.

A girl that I don't know sits next to Lily and says something about their regional competitions and the whole group laughs.

I focus on Lily's laugh, smiling without even thinking about it.

Lily has the best laugh.

She leans forward over the table as she does and I stand behind her.

As she straightens herself, I lower myself so that I can whisper in her ear, "Hey, angel."

Lily jumps and turns.

She looks surprised.

Then, her face morphs into a beautiful smile as she looks up at me.