24 | BUILDER

SEVEN YEARS AGO

SEVEN YEARS AGO

I watch as they sleep on the hospital bed; my girls.

I watch as they lie in the chaos of overflowing hospital overnight bags, bouquet after bouquet of flowers that Lily got from her friends and all the open and finished boxes of food.

I cross the room to them and sit down on the chair that has become my chair, right near the hospital bed.

You're my whole world, Lily.

You and our daughter.

My eyes are watery from how long I've been awake, but nothing can take away from how peaceful I feel right now with my family.

My family.

The first time I looked at Lily, I wondered how in the world that I ever convinced myself that I loved someone before her.

When I look at my daughter, I wonder how in the world I had ever thought I knew what love was before.

Lavender sleeps on her mother's chest.

She has the most adorable hands and feet and nose and mouth.

Her lips are smushed against Lily's chest and her fingers a moving, ever so slightly, in her sleep.

I don't know for how long I watch them, but I don't know anything until my phone beeps.

It's Elliot.

He's here.

I tell him the room number and tell him to walk in quietly.

A few minutes later, the door opens softly and closes.

Elliot is walking in on his tiptoes, holding a box in his hand.

He grins widely at me, making an excited face.

I stand up and Elliot pulls me in for a hug.

"I'm proud of you, man," he says, quietly, still hugging me, "And I'm so happy for you."

He pulls away and looks at me. "By the way, I drove past it and I saw what you've done," he says, smacking my chest, "You're a real builder, man. It's amazing. I can't believe you've done that. I'm so damn proud of you."

Elliot has been one of my best friends since the first day I met him when we were like two and even though we weren't in touch for many years, ever since we met again on the first day of college, he has become one of my best friends all over again.

I know how steady and determined he is.

To hear Elliot tell me that he's proud, it just a good feeling.

"Thanks, man," I tell him, clapping him on the shoulder, "I can't wait to show her." I nod my head in Lily's direction.

"How's your little family?" Elliot asks, as softly as he can.