20 | BAKER

SEVEN YEARS AGO

SEVEN YEARS AGO

When I walk in the door that evening, Lily has passed out on the couch with all the lights on and one of her law books is open on her chest.

Now that she's seven months along, Lily's baby bump is really showing and she waddles a little when she's tired, but she's still the most beautiful person that I know.

I put my bag near the foot of the couch and bend to kiss her.

She doesn't even budge.

Lily's been tired a lot, lately, and she gets cranky quite easily, so I try to make sure that everything in the whole world is to her liking.

I even made dinner for her this morning before I left so that she doesn't have to do that for herself when she got home.

I've been gone the whole day, even though it's a weekend, because I've been making sure that I have all the work I need to have covered by the time the baby comes and I've been rearranging my schedule for the next semester, so that I can be there for Lily more.

Since I stopped playing tennis for the university, I've had more time on my hands and I've put every single one of those minutes making sure that my angel and our baby have the best life.

There's a stack of books on my desk about pregnancy and how to handle newborns. I've read almost every single one of them and it has been an overload of information, but at least now, I know that Lily's pain all those months ago was completely normal.

It doesn't mean that there haven't been new things that pained her, but all those things are normal and both she and the baby are completely fine.

There are so many baby-related gadgets that I've compared and made sure that I know the best model that's suited for Lily.

I've watched a million YouTube videos of moms reviewing baby equipment, so I know the differences between various strollers on the market like the back of my hand.

I even started a secret project about three weeks after we found out that Lily was pregnant and I still haven't told Lily about it. I will tell her once it's done and hopefully that'll be right after the baby comes.

By the time I'm in the house, I'm so tired that I can feel the tension in my shoulders, but I know that the work isn't done for the day.

I walk into the kitchen to work on my cooking skills, so that I have most skill down pat before the baby comes and we get too busy.

From where I stand in the kitchen, I can turn and see Lily through the doorway.

It makes me smile, seeing her.

It makes me smile that soon, we're going to have another.

It makes me smile that soon, we're going to be a family.