23 | HEART BREAKER

It's exactly seven when my phone rings

I'm in the middle of trying to decide whether I should watch one more episode before I get off the couch to go pee or if I should just go now.

I look over at my phone.

It's Elliot.

"Hey, Eli," I tell him.

"Isa," Elliot sounds like he's outside with how hard the wind is blowing around him, "What are you up to on this fine Saturday evening?"

"Netflix marathon," I reply.

Elliot laughs. "Fabulous. The whole gang is meeting for dinner. I'm picking you up."

"The whole gang?"

"All of Mystery Inc," he confirms.

I hesitate.

The question is at the tip of my tongue, but I can't get myself to ask it.

Will Marco be there?

I haven't seen Marco since I told him that we need to take a breather from whatever the hell was going on with us, on the rooftop that night. And that was three weeks ago.

Ever since then, I haven't crossed paths with him. There hasn't even been a youth center meeting because of how busy everyone has been.

In all honestly, I missed him so badly; even just his smell. I missed having the crisp smell of fresh mint and ice and carbon ink surround me.

I missed the idiotic jokes that he makes and the dumb things that he does.

"Isa?" Elliot says, "I'm on my way to you." I hear a car door close. "Tell me you're in."

Isabella Hammond doesn't hide from anyone.

"I'm in."

* * *

"You're not on call today?" I ask Elliot as I slide into the passenger seat beside him.

Elliot shakes his head and then, ponders for a moment. "Well, I literally am on call. If someone calls in sick, I'll have to go in."

"Do you have your things?"

"I always have my go bag in the car," he gestures to the back with him thumb.

I look over at him as he pulls on to the main road. "You work really long hours, don't you?"

He smiles. "All a part of the fabulous life of a resident."

I've never once heard Elliot complain about his work, no matter how tiring it may be.

"How is work?" I ask him.

Elliot's smile doesn't die. "Pretty great, Isa. I'm really enjoying it."

"I heard you went for an important conference a couple of months ago," I say, remembering what Jenna said.