3: Because of One's Happiness

Joy interrupted Wendy. "You like Irene, don't you?"

Panicking inside, Wendy said, "We're just friends!"

Joy smirked. "Sure. 'Friends'." She started walking off without Wendy.

Wendy snapped back into reality and shook her head. "H-Hey! Wait for me!"

As they were walking together, they both saw Irene and Seulgi walking on the pavement, ahead of them from afar. The two girls were laughing and smiling at each other… even linking arms. Wendy saw the two and felt a little jealous. Joy looked at Wendy, who was watching Irene and Seulgi walk toward their direction.

"See you are jealous!" Joy smirked and nudged Wendy's arm.

Wendy tried to hide her jealousy. "Do you want to know why I'm jealous?" Wendy lowered her voice as she looked at the two, getting closer to them.

"Duh."

Wendy was about to tell Joy the reason, when she heard someone called out to her. "Wendy!"

The girl looked at the direction where she heard someone call her name. It was Irene. She was smiling brightly, as she waved at Wendy.

As they got closer to the two,  Irene went up to Wendy and gave her a hug. Seulgi on the other hand, noticed the two and felt a little jealous, but she was good at hiding her emotions and expressions. She kept it all to herself inside.

Wendy broke the hug and looked at Seulgi. "Hey Seul."

Seulgi waved back at Wendy with a smile. "Hey Joy." Seulgi and Irene waved their hand at Joy, who greeted them back. 

 "We were just walking around, going to places, after our meeting." Seulgi looked at Wendy and Joy. "What are you guys doing?"

Joy spoke. "Well… we were just doing the same as you guys; going to places and walking around." Joy lightly nudged Wendy's arm with a smirk.

"Anyway… do you guys want to come with us?" Seulgi asked Joy and Wendy.

"Sure, I'll come." Joy said.

Wendy shook her head. She didn't want to interfere with Seulgi and Irene. "No, I'm fine-"

"Oh come on, pleaseeeee." Irene held onto Wendy's arm and begged like a child. "It'll be fun!"

Joy and Wendy looked at each other and Joy smirked. After a while of hesitation, Wendy finally agreed. "All right." She let out a small chuckle. "I'll come."

Irene smiled brightly. "Yay!"

"Let's go." Seulgi said and the four started walking.

•••

Hours have passed and they've been to a lot of places. They went to a café, a park, and  a museum. They were having so much fun hanging out and talking with one another. They also went to a nearby convient store and bought Pepero for Yeri.

"It really sucks how Yeri isn't here with us." Seulgi pouted her lips, as the four sat at a table outside, as they were eating their street food. "Where did she go again?"

"Didn't she go and visit her relatives?" Wendy said, as she bit her churro.

"Oh, right…"

"Man," Joy said as she finished her churro and took a sip of her drink. "I'm a little tired… we've been to a lot of places today."

"Yeah, we have…" Wendy stretched her arms. "... Should we start heading home? The sun is setting." The four looked at the sky. It was starting to get dark.

"Yeah, let's go home." Irene stood from her seat and threw her trash away.

They decided to walk home, feeling the cool breeze. "Ah, the cool air feels nice." Wendy inhaled the cool air and exhaled. It felt really nice. 

The four were in pairs as they walked; Joy was with Seulgi and Irene was with Wendy. Irene smoothly slipped her hand in Wendy's making the younger girl's heart start racing. They intertwined their fingers and kept walking behind Joy and Seulgi, who were busy talking and laughing with each other.

"This feels nice too." Irene spoke quietly to Wendy. "Us holding hands feels nice, doesn't it?"

Wendy blushed. "S-Sure…"

"I wish we could be like this forever…" Irene leaned her head against the younger girl's shoulder, making Wendy flinch a little.

She whispered underneath her breath. "I wish we could be like this forever, too…"

However, Irene heard it.

They both slowed down. Irene stood straight to look at Wendy in the eye. "Why don't we be like this forever, then?"

Wendy looked ahead at Seulgi, who was laughing along with Joy about something. Seulgi was happy. And Wendy wants Seulgi to be forever happy.

Even if it means of letting go of her crush, just so her best friend can be happy with Irene.

Wendy looked at the ground, feeling all sad. "Wendy…?" Irene was worried. "Did I do anything wrong?"

"N-No… It's not that… It's just…" She couldn't finish her thought.

"Wendy, you're making that sad face again." Irene placed her hand on the girl's shoulder. "I'm here to listen."

Wendy took a deep breath. "I can't-"

"Huh? Wendy unnie, Irene unnie!" Joy called out to them, making the two jump. "Hurry up!"

Now Wendy can never finish her thought.

"Okay, we're coming!" Irene giggled. "Hold on!" She faced Wendy once again. "Come on, we can talk about this later, okay? Let's go."

Wendy nodded her head and the two held hands once again.

The whole walk home was quiet between Wendy and Irene. But they still continued to hold hands. Wendy didn't have the courage to look at Irene, or talk to her.

She was just deep into her thoughts.

•••

After what seemed like forever, they finally arrived home, and the youngest was already home, waiting for them.

"Finally!" Yeri hugged the four. "You guys are home! Where did you guys go?"

"We went to places… you know, here and there…" Seulgi said. "We bought you Pepero."

"Thanks unnie!" The youngest took the plastic bag and went up to her room. Seulgi just giggled.

Irene and Wendy went to Wendy's room and talked there. "What is it that you were saying earlier?" The older girl asked.

"I…"