4: Because Love is Pain

"I…"

Wendy hesitated to tell Irene how she felt, and the reason why. A tear fell down her cheek. "Hey, Wendy…" Irene got closer to Wendy on the bed. "You've been acting off lately…" She lowered her voice. "Is it still about the reality tv show?"

Wendy looked at her crush in the eye. "I-It's not about that…"

"Then what is it?" She wiped Wendy's tears. "What were you saying earlier?"

The younger girl took a deep breath. "... I can't." It took her some courage.

"Can't what?"

"I can't be with you." Wendy looked at the ground and more tears fell down her cheek. She just wanted her best friend Seulgi to be happy, happy with the person she loves, which is the girl sitting beside Wendy. 

"Why…" Irene's voice cracked. "... why not?"

Wendy looked at Irene in the eye. "Because… you deserve someone better than me." She couldn't just tell her that her best friend also had a crush on her. She got up and walked to Irene's door when-

"Wendy, wait." Irene grabbed her wrist. "W-What do you mean…?"

The younger girl was still facing toward Irene's door. She didn't have the courage to look at her. "There's someone out there… who's willing to give all their love to you." She felt another tear fall.

"You… you're willing to give all your love to me… right?" Irene still held onto the younger girl's wrist. Wendy was frozen. She was willing to give all her love to Irene. But what about her best friend? She didn't want her best friend to be all sad.

Love is pain for Wendy.

Wendy placed her hand over her eyes. "I-I want to…" She said in a low voice. "I-I want to give you all my love…" She started to sob out loud. She really wanted to. "... but I can't."

"Wendy, look at me." Irene gently placed her hand on Wendy's cheek, making the younger girl face her. She gave Wendy a kiss and didn't want to let go.

Maybe Irene really does love Wendy back.

They kept kissing until their lips were in sync and fell onto Irene's bed. It began to feel hot and sweaty, as the two were all on each other.

But Wendy was still confused about their relationship. Though Irene wished they could both be like that forever, she had never really confessed her feelings for Wendy. 

Irene broke the kiss. "Wendy, what are we?" She looked into the younger girl's eyes, waiting for a response. Wendy didn't know, too. She didn't know what their relationship was.

"I… I…" Wendy didn't know what to say. They were silent for a while.

"I don't even know…" Wendy finally spoke. Irene sighed and rolled over beside Wendy. The younger girl wanted to confess her feelings, but not a single word came out of her. She wanted to tell Irene how much she loved her, but nothing came out.

Wendy had to hold back her feelings.

It was a little awkward. "I think…" Irene's voice lowered. "... you should go. It's getting late…"

"Right…" Wendy got up from Irene's bed and walked to the door. "I'm sorry… I'm sorry about what happened earlier… It's just… I'm sorry. Goodnight." She closed the door behind her, leaving Irene confused. But Wendy didn't move at all from the door. 

Irene slowly walked up to her door, knowing that Wendy didn't leave, because she didn't hear footsteps going away. She placed her hand on the doorknob, but didn't budge. She was deciding if she should open her door or not.

Wendy was leaning against Irene's door from the other side and felt her tears coming out, and let out a huge sigh. She looked up into the ceiling, and only the ceiling. In a low voice, she said to herself, "I love you so much Irene…" She broke down.

The house was quiet enough that Irene could hear Wendy's soft mumbles from the other side.

The younger girl continued. "But you're just better off with my best friend…" She sobbed out loud. She closed her eyes and sat, and leaned against Irene's door, as tears wouldn't stop falling from her eyes.

Irene just wanted to desperately open her bedroom door, but she just didn't. She just stood there, holding the doorknob, and felt a tear fall down her cheek. 

She hates seeing or hearing Wendy cry. It just makes her sad too.

The older girl could hear Wendy's sobs from the other side and she just wanted to hug her so bad. She wanted to be by her side all the time. But again, she didn't budge. She was also crying because she was also confused.

She wondered why Wendy said that her best friend was better off with her. Maybe Seulgi likes her too?

Irene cried silently with mixed emotions.

Wendy was still in the same position. With her eyes closed and with tears on her cheek she whispered, "I'm sorry..." She sighed. "I'm sorry…"

She looked at the ground and got up and wiped her tears.

"I knew it." A voice said.

Wendy was startled and looked up to see Joy looking back at her with her arms crossed.