Chapter 16

[A/N] so school starts again on monday and I fucking hate it because I won't be able to update that much :(
Comment, vote, read
Love you all!!:*

Jane smiled when she saw her girlfriend walk in with her little brother. She was about to say hi when Frankie spoke up. "Look who I found on the stairs coming to see you."

"Is that so?" Jane looked Maura over with a smile but it quickly turned to a frown when she noticed a slight puffiness in Maura's eyes. "You were crying. Who the hell made you cry?" she stood looking outraged. "Did someone say something to you?"

"It's alright Jane, Frankie took care of it." Maura said waving off Jane's anger.

"But who made you cry? I won't let them get away with it."

"Actually it was Frankie."

Jane turned towards her brother looking like she might burst. "You made Maura cry?"

"It was good tears. I swear Jane." Frankie held up his hands. "We heard some beat cops talking bad about you and her and I just defended her is all."

"I've never had a brother or anyone to keep people from teasing me before."

Jane felt calmer instantly. "Thanks for looking out for her little bro."

"She's family." He shrugged. "Ma's making me lunch so I'm gonna go."

Family. She's family, she's been family for a long time now, I'm glad they like her. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm great" She gave Jane a quick kiss on the cheek after checking to see if anyone was watching them. "But thank you for asking. I am surprised you could tell I was crying. It wasn't a particularly hard or long cry."

"You're eyes are a little more puffy and red than usual. They don't even look like that when you're super tired." Jane pointed out. "So have you got anything about the girl yet or were you coming for lunch?"

"Lunch. I haven't gotten tox screens back yet so there isn't much more I can tell you than I've already told you."

"That's alright. I wouldn't expect you to be anything but meticulous." Jane smirked.

Maura had been around Jane long enough to know she was being teased. "Let's just go get lunch."

"Lunch it is. You choose." Jane said following the medical examiner out. She reached out to take the smaller woman's hand but pulled back rather quickly. I don't want to give people a reason to be cruel to her. No one would say anything to me. And knowing Maura she would try not to care but it would still hurt her.

"You know..." Maura started. "I don't care what people say about me." Maura said taking Jane's hand. "I want to hold your hand when you feel like holding hands. I don't want to let a few close minded people's words to keep us from showing that we're together, holding hands is perfectly acceptable."

"How do you know exactly what I'm thinking?" Jane asked staring at Maura.

Maura just shrugged.

Lunch was relaxing and pleasant for both women. They didn't talk about work or the case. They simply enjoyed each others company.

"So I'll go try and find out more about our Jane Doe. She's so young. I can't believe no one has noticed that she's missing." Maura said hitting the down button.

"Someone will notice soon." Jane said with conviction. "There isn't a mother in the world that wouldn't notice their daughter is missing."

Maura gave a half smile. "I'll see you later Jane."