Chapter One: Unwanted Guests

Yi Lian was fed up with it. The incessant laughter, the frivolous flirtations and the strange exchanges of the citizens were all too overwhelming.

The Yi Sect was once the best and most respected Sect in the surrounding Regions, however, since Yi Lian's parents and older brother had fallen to a tragic death it was like the world had decided that now the Sect Leader and King was unfit to reign.

Not being brought up to rule and making Lantern his deputy. Lantern? you may ask. His name was Yi Xen but because of his push over attitude and lack of brightness they called him Yi Lantern.

Lian didn't care for such things. He called him Lantern only out of habit after knowing him since childhood.

Now the deputy sat with his head down, silently picking at nut shells with a light, innocent smile dancing across his lips.

He sat at Yi Lian's side. Yi Lian was known to have a lacklustre personality. He didn't tend to talk to people, replied to people's questions but still seemed uninterested. He was a very powerful cultivator but never used his power. He used it much in his childhood yet he hasn't used one spell, talisman or tune since a few years ago.

Lantern poked his side earning his attention, asking, "Do- Do you really think Yi Vian said those things about me?" Yi Lian didn't turn his face or even sigh at the nature of the absurd question. "What does it matter?"

Lantern, "it matters! You wouldn't know, people speak behind your back more than mine yet you don't turn an eye."

Yi Lian, "they don't deserve my eye."

Lantern sighed.

This meant the exchange was over and they both got back to their own peace.

They were in Temper Hall. At the head table were Cultivators in formal attire whilst the rest of the hall was filled with commoners from the village. This was an event they held once a year where the Cultivators from the Imortall's Valley Top came down to Waters Edge City to give the Cultivators rest and the Island's residents a chance to see and meet them. It was mostly to keep appearances good and encourage parents to let their children come and train but most just used it as a chance to drink.

The walls were covered in light blue wall hangings, some of the Sects crest; a boat sailing atop a mountain through the clouds, and the Island's flag of two blue mountains with a boat sailing between.

The Yi Sect was known for its spirituality and hard rules, however now that only stuck with the elders as the chaos went on. That's right, chaos. After years of peace and harmony Yi Lian fell into a depression and all the rules that were to be upheld and the kind students that were being taught fell into ruin. Appearances fell. Respect was lost. There was little to be done and those who watched simply had to wait for the Sect's name to fall away like a tired poet's name.

Whilst the party dragged on Yi Vian washed her face outside. The damn drunkards had thrown wine at her whilst trying to get her to talk. She was much like Lian. Quiet, hardworking and secluded to others. She pushed the water over her face, not minding the stinging at her eyes.

Leaving the basin, she walked to the side door of Temper Hall, leaning back and looking out to the sea ahead of her.

The Island was to be marveled. Not long ago it was the place to send your children, it was the mysterious place fishermen gossiped about.... Most came from the Island itself but liked to scare the mainlanders so they could have more sea at their disposal.

The Immortals Valley Top sat through a forest, cut off from the cities and villages. It was a great island, far too big to be considered one, sat at the centre of the largest lake, surrounded by the worlds mightiest Sects. The so-called 'front' of the island had two large mountainous rocks either side the docks. When one entered past the mountain rocks they would open into a large canyon type lake with buildings high up the sheer cliff face. There were Docks and many stairs which were used day after day to enter the city, yet now, under the moonlights watch, it was silently abandoned. Only some fishermen who had been stuck in high tide in the day returned and on this day it seemed most had been lucky enough to find their way back to their wives for dinner.

Yi Vian's sharp eyes got to work on the area. She was an average height woman of slightly tanned skin. She had bright blue, sparkling eyes from a distant land and her clothes were white as the mountains peaks in winter. With a sword sheathed at her side she had little to worry about yet something seemed to be tugging at her sleeve.

In a flash she spun around. Her long black hair fell from its pin as she was pushed back, almost flying into the air. The figure, in dark purple robes, reached out violently to touch her forehead.

Knowing his intentions Yi Vian threw her sword out in one direction, the direction not toward the purple mage but to the bell atop the watchtower on the side of the right mountain.

The purple figure, enraged, unsheathed his sword and plunged it forward. Yi Vian swiftly rolled and kicked at his legs. The kick was strong and hit him painfully in the abdomen, he fell down to the side with a groan.

As soon as the bell was sounded Temper Hall went silent. For a moment they listened as they heard a man call in pain, when they suddenly fell into panic.

The villagers panicked, "Who is it? Who is it? Help! Somebody call Immortals Valley Top!"

So ignorant. The Cultivators were already all there! They sobered up immediately, unsheathing their swords, they leapt toward the door in formation. Lian sat there indifferently, as if he were in meditation still and had only heard a tea cup fall from a shelf.

On the other hand Lantern had fallen into panic. He fell back from his seat and scrambled to his feet. "It's them! It's the Zhao Sect! What should we do- get the Sect Leader out of here- evacuate the people- oh they're coming- I will accompany the Sect Leader, go!" Not much long after the large wooden doors of Temper Hall shook, Lantern grabbed Yi Lian's arm and hauled him to his feet. Yi Lian dropped the tea cup causing it to crash to the ground and split in two just as the door did.

Arrows rained over their head but they didn't look back. Lantern practically threw Yi Lian through the side door and through the passageway. Yi Lian rushed as fast as he could with Lantern pushing at his side but because his spiritual energy was so suppressed, his speed and dexterity was low, causing him to be half dragged behind whilst his stomach turned.

Lantern was panting, panicking at every slight noise. "This- This way!" He called. It was towards the Kings room.

Yi Lian thought aloud, "What use is my room? A safe place to be held captive?" Lantern paled at the comment.

"Your right- no your sword- your manuscript- they must be saved!"

Yi Lian remained quiet and followed.

They arrived at the door but they already heard voices behind them. "Lantern-" Yi Lian was about to say but he was shoved and locked inside his room. "What use is locking it from the outside you-" He didn't have time for this. He grabbed his sword, a small infinity bag and grabbed a few things. He specifically brought two books, his manuscript and one of the Yi Sects teaching guides. He stuffed both into the infinity bag (a small bag which had no bottom) and placed it inside his outer robe.

He heard yells but he swiftly fled through the window, silently and expressionlessly, running into the night.